Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Problem 2009 Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
dcourville
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Problem 2009 Nightster

Ok, this is a really stupid problem. I moved my coil and key switch to the left side of the bike. they are now mounted to a bracket which is mounted to the rocker boxes. after putting some miles on the bike, i think the tumblers in the key switch are f*cked up. i cant remove my key from the switch and when i am riding into the higher rpms, the bikes cuts on and off. i believe the vibration got to it. the crazy thing is, i can still turn the bike on and off with the key....i am just wondering how can i just get rid of the key switch completly and hide a toggle switch somewhere on the bike. if anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.......jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. If/when you get the key out try using some graphite (get it in the key section at Home Depot). The problem sounds more like a wiring then a mechanical problem but...??? Just be sure to check the wiring connections to make sure. When I relocated my coil I cut the bracket and left the key in the stock location specifically because I was worried about the vibration between the cylinders.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
dcourville
Intermediate

already been through the wiring. the reason i believe its they key is because i can grab the key, hold it in place, and get into the "bastard rpms" and it wont cut in and out...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Moustache
Cruiser

I have the same issue with the ket getting stuck in my ignition. But it doesnt cut out on me. Just takes the right jiggle to get the key out.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
dcourville
Intermediate

ill try jiggling more... wow..that sounds really dirty....hahahahahahaha.....

Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Moustache
Cruiser

haha, gotta do what you gotta do. It really is embarassing not being able to get the key out of the ign. some times. I can only get it out with my right hand, if i try to REMOVE THE KEY with my left, it wont come out haha. Now if bold part wasnt there, THAT would sound dirty.

Oh and i have been to the dealer about this, The man behind the counter at service claimed to have "never seen that before".

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Excessive vibration and tumbler/pin locks are never a good combination. If you just have to engine mount the switch, at least use some rubber or neoprene washers for isolation between the engine and bracket.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
ezmo
Cruiser

There is a thin line between reliability and cool modification. Id rather stay on reliability side, not being so cool...

Id rather put the ignition where it is designed to and figure out something else hip, to be modified, not sake the reliability...

Its your call....

Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

insulating rubber or neoprene washers helps alot. also, when you remove the key finally, spray a little wd40 into the ignition switch and that should help the tumblers a little as well.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
dcourville
Intermediate

i did put on rubber washers but i guess it didnt work really well... i am going to try to get it out and move it...

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Problem 2009 Nightster