Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paradise HD in Tigard Oregon: My story about an exemplary Dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paradise HD in Tigard Oregon: My story about an exemplary Dealership!

This likely won't be a "short" story, so if you don't want a thorough detailed description of the event, the title should tell you all you need.

I had a bad experience with the dealership I bought my 2011 XL1200X from, and it was centered around doing most of my own work on the bike. I did inform the service manager that I would never buy anything from their shop again, and why. He apologized and stated that the tech should have NEVER insinuated that my warranty would not be honored if I did my own work on the bike (including oil changes). I knew this guy was at leas a half-bubble off when he tried to say that AMSoil wasn't as good as HD oil, but I did try once more to communicate with him. Here is the whole story for anyone who wants to read it:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...t-my-bike.html

So I made my appointment with Paradise Harley-Davidson in Tigard Oregon for a "partial" 1k service. The day for that service was yesterday, and they did exactly what I wanted done, nothing more. Stating that I would only have an issue with warranty if I "messed something up" (like putting the wrong weight of oil in the trans, or installing something wrong).

As a part of their normal shop business every bike gets a wash when they are done working on it. Typically I don't go in for this stuff, but I decided it was no big deal.

I did smell something "soapy" at an intersection a ways up the road, and chalked it up to cleaner cooking off of the heat sinks.

When I got off the bike at home I noticed that I had some splatter on the rocker boxes and went to wipe it off. It was/is not going to wipe off, and appeared to be etched into the finish. The pics don't really show how messed up it looks but it's like half etched, half corroded looking.

I took it back out to the dealer this morning with no attitude and only two questions: What is it, and how do you suggest I get it off?

Shop foreman mustered a worker that must wash the bikes and instructed him to go remove it and make it look like new. He was straight forward but pleasant enough with his employee (who apparently had washed my bike yesterday).

20 minutes later he came and broke the news:

They had just switched chemicals they use on the bikes and apparently one of them will eat polished parts if it isn't rinsed off completely and gets hot. He said they just learned this, and had a few options for making things right. 1. Money. 2. Credit. 3. Replace the rocker boxes with new.

I thought about it for about 15 or 20 minutes and talked it over with a guy I work with that happened to be out there at the same time. I decided that I would rather accept his offer to replace the rocker boxes than risk copping a resentment against myself for eating it.

I did talk with Jon (shop foreman) about doing them black while he is in there and paying the difference, if any. No difference on the top, but the lower box doesn't currently come in black on any models. The parts guy did some quick searching and found it as a 2008 model part. $33 dollars difference each. I am paying the difference and getting both parts in black.

Anyhow, I cannot say enough about how impressed I was with the level of service I received from an H-D dealer. They could have easily told me; "I don't know what you got on it, but it wasn't like that when it left here yesterday". I know it is a novel, but I had to share an experience this positive with my fellow H-D owners.

Last edited by UFOtestpilot; 07-23-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good choice with the black. Mine have spots on them that I have no idea what they are from. Just the rain leaves spots that won't clean off. This winter mine are getting powder coated.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
Good choice with the black. Mine have spots on them that I have no idea what they are from. Just the rain leaves spots that won't clean off. This winter mine are getting powder coated.
Yeah, the black not only looks good, but isn't very needy when it comes to cleaning either.

If you have yours done at a shop, I would suggest asking if they'll guarantee that they won't warp in the oven. It would suck to develop a leak that cost you hard earned cash only to have to figure out another route. I don't know how likely that is with these parts but I have seen it with automotive parts and it's not good.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Vins
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always nice to hear good stories about a dealership.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad they took care of you! I wonder about the "new" chemical though, I have heard on more than one occasion that if the S100 isn't rinsed off ALL the way it has that affect on polished parts.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain

I don't know what they washed it with, or whether or not there was a "new" chemical or someone just F'd up. I am grateful that they are making it right, and I will never let anyone wash my bike.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UFOtestpilot
Yeah, the black not only looks good, but isn't very needy when it comes to cleaning either.

If you have yours done at a shop, I would suggest asking if they'll guarantee that they won't warp in the oven. It would suck to develop a leak that cost you hard earned cash only to have to figure out another route. I don't know how likely that is with these parts but I have seen it with automotive parts and it's not good.
I haven't talked to him yet, but I am going to see if JRK can do it for me. I know he is very experienced with bike parts and will do a great job.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Dwaino
5th Gear

I got one for you regarding Paradise Harley.

Two weeks ago, the wife and I rode down to Paradise (165 miles each way) to look at new bikes. Long story short, we agreed on trading in an '05 Dyna Custom and an '07 Road Glide on a brand spankin' new, yet to arrive, 2013 Road Glide Ultra. Pricing and trade in values agreed upon, even provided a $500.00 deposit.

Tomorrow was the day we were heading down to Tigard and complete the deal.

Was.

They called the wife today to say they can't and won't honor the deal they made with us. Didn't have any problem working up numbers, telling us what the difference would be that we need to cover or take a deposit from us. Then today they call and re-neg on the deal they made us.

Bike was due in today. Heading out tomorrow with me. Zero floor time.

I have spent thousands at this dealership over the past couple of years. The future of my business with these guys lays in their own hands.

Lets hope these guys pull it out and honor their deal.

Honor and integrity. Isn't that the Harley Davidson way?

Paradise Harley. Not much paradise for me, at least at the moment.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM
joskmo
Intermediate

The long time GM retired last Saturday. Hmmm
Smells like tuna. That place is gonna be effed up for awhile. Hope it works out

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain

This must be the only thread that pops up on a "paradise HD" search. lol

I only had the one experience with them, all other maintenance has been done by me. Zero upgrades other than the factory black rocker boxes and my little 48 is for sale. I'll probably just ride it through the winter and spiff it up for the ads early next spring, but I'm definitely moving on. The next sportster I buy is going to be an older, cheaper bike that I can actually strip down and make a project out of from day one. The Aprilia Tuono V4R has officially taken top spot on my motorcycle priority list.

Quick Reply: Paradise HD in Tigard Oregon: My story about an exemplary Dealership!