Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might loose some back pressure... not everyone notices it or has it.
I didn't feel a loss at all.

I still went ahead and added a K&N and XIED to make up the difference. wow.. what a f'n fast 1200 now.
and sounds bad ***.

You don't have to remove anything. Just stick the 1in hole bit up there, drill out, turn her on, watch the cuts fly out. done.
Or, that's what i did, and i'd do it again.

Last edited by gfburke; 08-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
gfburke
Tourer

Originally Posted by Meatnog
Since you also have a 48, got any pics? I'd love to see what it looks like and what you did!
Well i'm trying to make her look stock. so, it just looks .. well stock.
if you look close, you can notice i don't have a plastic airbox behind the air cover. but that's it.
only pics i have up so far are here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...the-cheap.html

Last edited by gfburke; 08-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfburke
You don't have to remove anything. Just stick the 1in hole bit up there, drill out, turn her on, watch the cuts fly out. done.
Or, that's what i did, and i'd do it again.
So, just so I understand what you did. In the back of the stock exhaust there's the little 1" hole. You attached a long drill bit (or extension in your case) and drilled straight through to break the baffle while the muffler was still attached to the bike (versus with slipons doing it before attaching)?

I watched the video at: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mufflers.html

Had to so I had a freakin' clue what drilling out the baffles meant! Haha. I understand the mechanics/engineering behind it all, I just didn't know the lingo I feel like such a noob...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
gfburke
Tourer

yep. that's it man.
like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-9nusHQl4

although i did a 1in hole bit. and also i didn't pull out everything like he did.. mine was just like 2 silver dollars that came out.
Think the dude in this vid as an 09 and the packing he pulls out isn't welded in like ours is. so we just makes holes.
you can start with a smaller bit, or just a hole and see how it sounds as you get bigger..

Last edited by gfburke; 08-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate

How long of a drill bit did you need before you made contact with the baffle? From the video I linked earlier, it looked like 12-18 inches into the actual muffler.

[Edit:] Nevermind ... you used a 1" HOLE drill bit like the guy above. Hmmm ... now I am super tempted to do this, I have all I need. But how far into the muffler did you have to drill? The dude in the video you linked above goes like 6 inches in, barely anything.

Last edited by Meatnog; 08-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
gfburke
Tourer

ya i think it was about 1ft. just put a flashlight up your tail end and check it out. looks like your pipes are all sealed off...lol. it's about 3mm thick to drill through.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cycle Shack supposedly makes the SE's, but when I asked them they wouldn't confirm nor deny it. Rush is another option. They offer different baffle sizes, which as far as I know, they are the only ones that offer multiple options. The smaller the baffle diameter the "quieter" they are.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gfburke
ya i think it was about 1ft. just put a flashlight up your tail end and check it out. looks like your pipes are all sealed off...lol. it's about 3mm thick to drill through.
I just did that and laughed. It is like 8 inches in. Now I know why you did a 1" hole, that's the diameter of the exhaust!

I already convinced my girlfriend we're stopping by a home depot on the way back from Sam's Club and I'm getting a 1" bimetal hole saw drill bit. The smallest I had in the house was 1 1/4" which is just SLIGHTLY too big to fit ... le dang. Oh well, it is just an excuse to buy another tool, yay!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
gfburke
Tourer

Yeah man, i cannot see myself using this 1in hole bit again.. maybe i should just walk around parking lots with my drill removing baffles for people. like secret santa

Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Melonbob
Cruiser

I will have a pair of screaming eagle slip ons for sale, but not until the fall. They have a great sound without being too loud. I want to get straight shots, thats why I'm getting rid of them, only a month old as of now. Plug and play.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help