Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfburke
Yeah man, i cannot see myself using this 1in hole bit again.. maybe i should just walk around parking lots with my drill removing baffles for people. like secret santa
Haha, I am done! Total cost of tools: $21 from Lowes for a 1" bimetal hole saw and a 10" extension rod.... well ... plus one other thing...

My f'in cordless Ryobi drill shredded its tranny while doing this. Thank god it is under warranty and I had a spare corded B&D drill with a METAL tranny.

But HOOOOOO ... I am a happy happy boy. THAT is the sound I was wanting and missing. Even my girlfriend was like: Yeah, now it sounds like a real Harley.

For a 1200cc engine the stock pipes just make it sound too wimpy.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Melonbob
I will have a pair of screaming eagle slip ons for sale, but not until the fall. They have a great sound without being too loud. I want to get straight shots, thats why I'm getting rid of them, only a month old as of now. Plug and play.
I hear ya. If this ends up being annoyingly loud I can always go with slipons later anyway No harm no foul.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 PM
gfburke
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meatnog
Haha, I am done! Total cost of tools: $21 from Lowes for a 1" bimetal hole saw and a 10" extension rod.... well ... plus one other thing...

My f'in cordless Ryobi drill shredded its tranny while doing this. Thank god it is under warranty and I had a spare corded B&D drill with a METAL tranny.

But HOOOOOO ... I am a happy happy boy. THAT is the sound I was wanting and missing. Even my girlfriend was like: Yeah, now it sounds like a real Harley.

For a 1200cc engine the stock pipes just make it sound too wimpy.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!
right!?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
sickboy949
Tourer

I confused did u remove baffles?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickboy949
I confused did u remove baffles?
Not really. I drilled a hole in the baffle.

On the 48 (and I assume other '11 and later Sportsters with the same exhaust), the baffle is like a fat beer coozy made of metal. In the middle of it, about a 1 1/8" diameter is a hole that looks like it goes all the way down, but it doesn't. About 8" down the "hole" there is a 4mm thick metal wall. This is what stops the exhaust from coming straight out and instead forces ALL of the exhaust through the baffle.

So I used a 1" hole saw drill bit with an extension rod so I could get all the way down into that spot where the wall is. drilled it right out. This means that most of the exhaust is now a straight pipe, thus giving that lovely Harley sound.

Some still goes through the baffle, so it isn't maddeningly loud, but it is a pretty significant increase in volume as well as that bass rumble that Harleys are famous for.

Now my baby sounds as good as she looks

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
gfburke
Tourer

and cagers will hear you better. it's a safety feature!
i've never used the horn since. pump that throttle a bit

Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM
sickboy949
Tourer

O ok I see I've got a 2009 nightster wonder if I've got that?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Meatnog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sickboy949
O ok I see I've got a 2009 nightster wonder if I've got that?
Dunno. Look at the back of your exhaust pipes. For mine it is a ring of chrome then a 1.5" thick "donut" of matte black metal with a 1" hole in the center. If I shined I flashlight into the hole, I'd see the baffle wall about 8" back from the opening.

I think with the nightster you'd do what the video gfburke linked above where the guy removed the entire baffle. It looked different than my '11 Forty-Eight.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Pretty sure my '11 XLC has the same pipes. Are y'all still happy with the sound?

Notice any low end torque loss?

Somewhere, someone mentioned a whistle at idle, but I think that was on the older style baffles.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 AM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

Grats on getting the sound better on your bike. My brother and I did this to his wifes nighty and it sounds pretty good. Much better than stock, a bit louder and deeper. I do notice that my slips are a good bit deeper and louder than the drilled stock mufflers just in case you want them louder in the future.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help