Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Sportster Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by: Rush Racing Products

P

Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default Heavy Breather

ok so as I have been reading, people are saying with just pipes with factory exhaust you will be fine without having to tune the scoot.

Question I have, I will for now just have stock pipes, soon probably will up to some rush tips or something different. But have the HD Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather. with just the heavy breather will I need a fuel pack or tune?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Road Warrior

One or the other, you will be fine. Both, you need a tune.

2009 883 Low w/ 1200 kit
Four theft attempts resulting in drops
One hit and run in a parking lot
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM
One Of The Regulars

need a tune with heavy breather and slip ons?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnHD View Post
need a tune with heavy breather and slip ons?
Based on my AFR readings, I'd say you do need a tune.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Rider
k0ntank3rous Charlie Sabens k0ntank3rous
Send a message via AIM to Kontankerous Send a message via Yahoo to Kontankerous

it's actually just a goober pre-coded remap. A real "tune" would be them putting in on a dyno and actually, tuning it. It's very generic map that is made to "work for 99% of everybody". Works in the closed loop throttle position and you really would be perfectly fine picking up someone's used Xieds.
Martin Bros. Blunts
Custom stuff all over...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontankerous View Post
it's actually just a goober pre-coded remap. A real "tune" would be them putting in on a dyno and actually, tuning it. It's very generic map that is made to "work for 99% of everybody". Works in the closed loop throttle position and you really would be perfectly fine picking up someone's used Xieds.
I guess I am that 1% it didn't work for. I'd be interested to know if anyone did measurements of AFR and see whether it works or not. My load showed it still ran dangerously lean at WOT. We didn't do runs at partial throttle so I will have to reload my stock tune, test and see what this one does.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
One Of The Regulars

I ran the heavy breather with no tune just fine. Then installed Screamin' Eagle slip ons and the bike ran hotter( leaner). Cured it with X14IEDs though, runs like a champ now and only for an extra 100 bucks
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontankerous View Post
Where'd you get those pipes and how much? I'm in love. Do they come in chrome?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Senior Rider

And just to contribute IDK why you wouldn't want a tuner of some sort. More power and a cooler smoother running motor... I mean I know money comes into play I've had mine for a little over 2 months and I'm still trying to get the money but why would you not want to do this?

Go to fuelmotto and buy a power commander V. They'll set it up for your bike for a little over $300 shipped. Or get a cobrapro for $500 just install and forget about it. Change this or that and still forget about it. You can buy an extra piece for the PCV to do this too but I'm pretty sure you're over $500 now. But you could buy them at different times if you plan to make changes again one day.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanterA101 View Post
And just to contribute IDK why you wouldn't want a tuner of some sort. More power and a cooler smoother running motor... I mean I know money comes into play I've had mine for a little over 2 months and I'm still trying to get the money but why would you not want to do this?

Go to fuelmotto and buy a power commander V. They'll set it up for your bike for a little over $300 shipped. Or get a cobrapro for $500 just install and forget about it. Change this or that and still forget about it. You can buy an extra piece for the PCV to do this too but I'm pretty sure you're over $500 now. But you could buy them at different times if you plan to make changes again one day.
I would think that it might be an instant gratification thing. Sucks to have to wait 6 months to a year to buy a tuner that can adjust everything there is to be adjusted. BTDT. Got burned by it too.

I'd think the PowerVision would be a good buy too. I am told you can tune it WITHOUT a dyno although if I didn't have the SEPST that the wife bought me, I'd be all over the PowerVision too but I'd still send it out for tuning simply because I want it done by a pro but you can DIY.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM

P

Tags
breather, changing, cheap, davidson, diy, harley, heavy, intake, involved, putting, sportster, tuner, whats