Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with a brand new Saddlemen seat ‘explorer standard’

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM
frogs
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with a brand new Saddlemen seat ‘explorer standard’

A bit long, sorry - and maybe am wrong, but.
Mail sent to my local retailer for relay to the European Saddlemen wholesaler
On may … received a seat and a sissy-bar bag- both Saddlemen made, for my HD.- XL1200R, 2008 with a 4.5 gallon fuel tank. See bill herewith.
According to your reference list, the seat corresponds to my HD model.
I have to add that the bike is equipped with a sissybar and a luggage rack, both genuine HD products.

The seat is correctly attached to the bike. By construction,the two curves (left and right) of the back of the passenger’s seat rub together with the sideplates. This part of the saddle is sized too large.
See photos.
I have been obliged to stick some strong adhesive tape to the seat to avoid more damage by the metal to the surface of the saddle,which is already degraded (scratches) after only 300 kms and nobody seated at the back….
...What to do to fix this problem ? Do I return this saddle ….
Your thoughts please.
Regards,
End quote
Their answer
Have seen this problem with the man in charge of the customer’s complaints. Sorry the warranty clause has been refused. According tohim, you should bring some slight modifications to the sissy bar to solve your problem.There is NO problem with the seat.
Thanks for your understanding
… rgds…
Customer Service
Parts Europe - Drag Specialities
End quote

The local resaler has seen the HD with the seat and agreed that there is a problem. But ‘Parts Europe' has NEVER seen them – only photos.
Second mail to him, for relay
I visited this afternoon the biggest HD shop of my area and ask to test a ‘sundowner’ seat demo model (with the good reference number) on my bike. The seat fits with the sissy bar ;The rounded back parts – left and right - of the seat are really level with the two side-plates, with no risk of strong scratches to the material covering the seat. See photos herewith.
My speculation is that probably - by conception or by manufacturing mistake – the Saddleman seat is over sized, and even if I am given another model with the same reference, the friction will still occur.
End quote

Questions :
- Is this usual ?
- Am I alone with this, or has anybody had the same problem ?
- Is the European wholesaler of an US brand right when asking me to adjust genuine HD side plates so that an adaptable ’’aftermarket’’ product fit with ..
- Should I stay like this with my doubts and damage the seat ?, ask a craftsman -saddler- to adjust the seat , and pay again ? buy a genuine HD seat?

Any idea ?
thanks for yur cooperation

Attached Thumbnails -image7.jpg   -image10.jpg   -photo-sundowner-2a.jpg   -photo-sundowner-3.jpg  

Last edited by frogs; 06-15-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: adding potos
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 AM
frogs
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if among more than 150 readers, no one had such a disappointment...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
deltafred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot comment on your exact problem. But, when I put my solo seat on, I had to use the original rear bracket from my original HD seat in order for it to fit and then it barely fit. I had to use quite a bit of force in order to get the holes lined up for the screw.

As with any aftermarket part for anything out there from cars to bikes, there is always "something" that needs adjustment in order for it to fit...this has been my experience in my 42 years on this planet, good luck.