Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 1200c aftermarket vs HD stage 1, is there a difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM
simply-G
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster 1200c aftermarket vs HD stage 1, is there a difference

I've been told the HD stage one is nothing compared to aftermarket. I have no idea what this means. The HD dealer stage one with pipes other than screaming eagle add ons, or find a good shop, order the parts, and have it done there

2007 1200 sportster Custom, what should I expect?

Attached Thumbnails Sportster 1200c aftermarket vs HD stage 1, is there a difference-image.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 07:10 AM
simply-G
Intermediate

If it's not a drastic difference, the dealer seems a lot more efficient, and it's about the same cost for parts and labor

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Jester 08 Nightster
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Order pipe, A/C, Tuner, and service manual. Spin the wrenches yourself and save $$$. None of it is particularly hard. It's a nice rain day project.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a huge difference, in sound and gaining about 10 horses.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM
simply-G
Intermediate

Thanks sporty, I don't have access to a dyno. The dyno is not needed to tune?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
You will feel the difference in ride quality, power and throttle response. SE stage-1 kit is decent and gets the jobs done. However there are better air-cleaners out there (of course for more $$)

I actually replaced the standard filter came with SE kit with a wider K&N filter and it made it even better.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Stay away from SE and you will do well. But you have to do your homework if you want more performance [than SE] for less $$$. See my signature for ideas.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:20 PM
simply-G
Intermediate

What about the v and e sold at HD, that's the one I've been considering. If I am learning my lingo, screaming eagle is SE.. And my air filter is an oval shape, that seemed like a pretty important detail. I am supposed to be awestruck by the air filter that sticks out ... I guess I am? The parts guy also assured me that my bike will have a tuner installed rather than just a flash or reprogram. I've learned from this board that's pretty important,

Old 05-31-2014, 05:16 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Stay away from SE and you will do well. But you have to do your homework if you want more performance [than SE] for less $$$. See my signature for ideas.

gotta call "BULLS4!7" on this post. you'll see a ton of folks giving you the same line and probably get some random PMs with offers... don't do it.

if you want to go with a conversion consider your future with the bike... are you going to try to keep it forever or are you gonna chuck it when you are ready for a bigger bike? buyers don't want a bike that has been fooled with and has a bunch of engine modifications, it raises reliability concerns. do you wanna spend all day resuring a potential buyer that you bike will not explode if they buy it from you. i'm looking for a dyna now and i don't want anything that has been monkeyed with.

My two cents--
conversion:
t
hat hammer and nhrs rubbish is not worth the effort and nonsense involved. IMO, get dealer parts and have the dealer do. you can blame the dealer for issues (leaks/failures) and have it remain in warranty... not have some oddball parts and no one around when s4!7 goes pear shaped. no ordering replacement parts and waiting for them to appear... hd dealers are like McDonald's when you are out on the road, so you are always covered in terms of parts. do you really wanna be in some strange town at an indy shop asking some guy you don't know to fix some random crap he's never seen...really? is that what you want? the nhrs and hammer zealots want that for you.
fine example of the counter argument.....
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Nut_Zipper
What is it that attracts people to SE? The HD brand name? Nothing they sell is top of the line and everything is way too expensive. You can see above one of those blindfolded SE users. It's OK to be stoopid, but why let everybody know? Masochism perhaps?
air filter:
the air filter included with the hd stage 1 1200 kit is fine to start with. after that you can upgrade to whatever you wanna throw on you bike. i replaced my kit filter with an arlen ness big sucker, they come with k&N filter elements that are reuseable once cleaned.

tuner
You will not need a tuner if you go with the dealer.... (some dealers will try to tell you that you do - see the link to my conversion below). they will give you the 1200 stage 1 download. this is also good for slip ons... no need to adjust. you can let them dyno if you want. i didn't. i was not paying for that and 6000 miles later, i could careless. no fouled plugs or poor performance. the other kits may require tuners, i don't know so i'm not gonna speculate.

people have all sorts of advice here so i'll leave you to your own devices. my ultimate rational was' "if i wanted super-speed and massive torque... i'd just get a better bike." i say that because all the tooling and fooling around in the world will (1) end you up with an unreliable, hard to sell franken-bike with parts for all over god's green earth and (2) you will still be torn apart by a bigger bike... wondering what just happened.

set the ego and penny pinching aside and make a good decision.

let the flames begin.

heres what happen when i asked the same question before my conversion, i have zero regrets. there's a ton of solid advice in here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-a-1200-a.html

Last edited by cvaria; 05-31-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What is it that attracts people to SE? The HD brand name? Nothing they sell is top of the line and everything is way too expensive. You can see above one of those blindfolded SE users. It's OK to be stoopid, but why let everybody know? Masochism perhaps?

Quick Reply: Sportster 1200c aftermarket vs HD stage 1, is there a difference