Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certain years of Sportys to stay away from? Shopping used for the wife....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Default Certain years of Sportys to stay away from? Shopping used for the wife....

OK so I started a thread when I went to look at an 05...learned the 05's have problems with crank position sensors (cheap 'n easy to replace), and clutch plates (small but do-able project).

I'm not up on the Sportsers....been big twins for a while. Learned a lot about the horrible 2006 year for the Dynas AFTER I bought one used after I had to deal with two of the major flaws. So I'm hoping to avoid same mistake on a Sportster for my wife.

She's ridden before...in her youth, born into true old school Harley culture and on them since in diapers. Now that her kids are up 'n older 'n one almost out of the house, she's wanting to reward herself (from a kickass year in real estate) with a Harley.

She's small in body size, and I'm wanting a Sporty 883 for her. But won't turn down a 1200 if it's nice.

Shopping in the 3000 to 4500 range...should be realistic. Would love to get a fuel injected one for her but having to be 07 or newer...hard to find them in that price range. I don't want her having to deal with the stress 'n confusion she'd get of a sputtering/stalling engine pulling away from a stoplight while not fully warmed up. And she doesn't have the patience to warm one up. She really doesn't want to go older than 2000. Although if there's no reason to stay away from 90's models I don't see why we can't consider one. As I'm capable of swinging my own wrench and fixing things up myself.

...hell, I ride a Shovelhead, I'd love to pickup an old Ironhead...but...she says the only antique she wants to ride is me.

Anyways....would be obliged for input on any "bugs" of certain years, things to keep an eye out for on certain years.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Sanyasi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how small your wife is but one of my bikes is a '98 883 with 43k on it. The engine was solid mounted but the frame is smaller than the new ones and is ideal for a smaller person to get back into V twins. Every year has its problems but I really like the bike. Small, light, powerful enough for two up or to go to Sturgis. If you look on Craigs list etc, you can find low mileage ones for your budget. (Make sure you put on a Corbin / Mustang seat).

Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM
davbib
Advanced

Clutch plates are bad on all years, but 2004 and up is rubber mounted so a lot less vibration.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:07 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Instead of worrying about what not to buy, why not ask people what they think the BEST years are? And why.

I'd recommend a rigid mount, with less electronics the better. I have a feeling these new electric wonders are very quickly going to become extremely hard for the normal garage biker to maintain into the future. I have a 91 which I bought new, trouble free with simple electrical system. I heard the 1994 to 1996 are the best models for a few reasons (oil tank/battery mount improved) and still have a reasonably simple electrical system.

Not a fan of electric speedo, rubbermount, EFI, WiFi, digital readout gauges, multiple tripmeters, GPS, EKG, MRI, onboard yoga, cupholders, charging stations, etc.

Not on a Sportster, please. But that's just me. My bike came with a chain. I guess belts are an improvement, but you can change the chain without removing the shock and wheel.

Oh, and the spring plate issue actually does NOT affect the rigid mount bikes to a significant level. Check out xlforum.net if you want to see the poll results and can do simple statistical analysis. I estimated a 2 to 4% failure rate for rigid mounts, close to 50% failure rate for rubbermounts last time I ran the numbers. Of course, the sampling size could be larger now with more poll results, but it seems to be fairly stable and consistent.

Good luck finding the BEST bike for your wife!!! Hopefully others will have opinions and reasons for those opinions.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-02-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from the 1988's
only thing original on my engine is the crank and inner case

Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Wi_Duker
Stay away from the 1988's
only thing original on my engine is the crank and inner case

Yes nothing before 1991, unless you decide you want to buy and restore an Ironhead. Forget the 86-90 for many reasons (clutch hub, stator, 4 speed).

John

Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 AM
stereoguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 185 Posts

I do prefer the carb versions, they are easier to work on and less things to deal with, I recently put on a HSR42 Mikuni, warms much quicker fully tuneable and much more responsive. That said, do stay 04 or newer. There are so many things she can do to it to make it hers as it seems the add on parts are unlimited, both for looks and comfort.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Come on down, shes yours for $4500

Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Would 27,000 miles on the clock scare anyone away from an 04?
Aside from clutch plate....nothing equivalent to the cam tensioners on the TC88's that fail around this mileage?

<typed something in wrong post, removed>

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 09-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Sawyer Rob
Advanced

Geeeez I can't even imagine worrying about what pipes "someone else" has on their bike!! I buy what "I" like!

You are like a woman going to a party and worrying you will have the same dress as some one else there!! lol

SR

Quick Reply: Certain years of Sportys to stay away from? Shopping used for the wife....