The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

TTS: Throttle Blip Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Default Throttle Blip Test

I put this out there a few years back. There was never really a challenge as to whether it worked for others but it seemed to make a difference on bikes I tuned. I found much crisper throttle using this.

Here is a copy of the post.

Originally Posted by 09fxdfse
Hello Wizard
I was particularly interested in your throttle blip technique for cam tuning.
I had used the cam analyzer to fix the ivo and was hoping I could lock in the ivc with the throttle blip technique.
My blips are not nearly as clear cut as yours.
I have three scandata files using the ivc from the cam estimator , and one up and one down from there.
I realise you use the throttle blip technique to fix the ivo as well as the ivc.
How often is your final ivo different from the cam analyzer ivo?
Thanks
For those who want to know what the heck we are talking about, click here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/11334690-post3869.html

The IVO found in the analyzer matches the IVO tool about 50% of the time. Depending on the build and the kPa at idle and just off idle with load I may use the next smaller number in IVO. What gets used is the best match of idle smoothness, less vibration at the floorboard and best torque curve to 3000 RPM's. I personally have found that after 3000 RPM's the IVO and IVC means nothing.

The only way you can use the cam analyzer for IVC is with a Dyno with brake set at a constant load during a 3500 RPM 3 minute data run.

The blip technique will not assist you in setting the IVC, sorry. Luckily there are only three set points. 3 is the most widely used, 2 is used about 30% of the time. If you have a HOT build then you may get to use 1, doubt it though.

My blip technique is for throttle response, immediate throttle response, without lag or stumble. It's not in the manual nor can it be found anywhere else but here. It's not something that a person can put down as an instructive diagram or discussion. One must understand the proper table use which gives you a "feel" for what's going on with the motor.

This must be done after several VTune sessions under 3500 RPM's or it will NOT work.

The tables I use for this while working with the blip and IVC are:
ARF/Lambda
EGR
Timing at idle
Throttle Blade Control

Fine tuning of this I may use, but not always in addition to the above is:
Spark Temperature Correction
Closed Throttle Spark
Idle Spark Control Gain
Idle Spark Control Max

Visual representations include:
Throttle marking @ 10% and 20% with painters tape
Throttle body butterfly opening

The rest is "feel"

Once you have the data and sharp/equal blip points on the graph you must VTune again.

Now, not everyone will go this far and you really don't have to get this deep in tuning your motor but if you have stumble at off idle then you may want to use the same approach.

The attachments will show a poor throttle and a crisp response. It's easy to see which one is the crisp blip.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle Blip Test-bad-idle-spike-cam-selector.jpg   Throttle Blip Test-idle-spike-cam-selector.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,258 Likes on 3,629 Posts

So which one is which?

Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry for the resurrect Wiz but I've looked at this a few times and compared it to my own attempts

I can read the jpg name so know which is bad ...but why??

The good one has a sharp point for the TPS (and MAP, which follows) but the flat topped pause to the bad one is a function of your hand on the throttle (at least in my experience I can make it do either/or)

The other thing I see MAP maybe dips deeper on the "Bad" one than the other when the throttle closes again

Lastly the "Good" one doesn't seem to rev as high as the other one

I must be thick ...what are we looking at here please?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:22 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"After flashing the changes I use the throttle and hard blip a few times and write down my thoughts about it. I then change to a smaller IVO and blip some more from idle. These blips are sharp, quick and hard. Again I write my thoughts down. I'll use which one give me a sharp RPM increase with no stumble and the best idle RPM's and kPa at idle. VTune a few times more and change my IVC one number. Vtune a few more times. I use the IVO number that gives me the best butt-o-meter pull when VTuning."

the above from Wiz with relevant bits boldened
you don't look for a flat top which is a function of your hand on the throttle

Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

yea, I had worked out that the slight flat top of the spike was nothing to do with it really, so that aside ...I couldn't work out what the pictures were trying to show me??

Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

I think by looking back at my pictures I should have set the graph marker in the middle of each blip trace. That would have given us more information to go by so the data is not a correlation to the blip.

Comment "Hand on throttle". I didn't have my hand around the throttle grip when blipping. I used the open palm of my hand, there was no grip to confuse the data.

From idle I would lay my hand on the throttle pushing down then draw my hand to my waist quickly. Doing this over and over on several bikes you will be able to judge "The Feel" I was talking about.

Talking with Doc some years back he unknowingly assisted me with this when having a talk about the AE and what/how it would assist with throttle lag on another bike I was working on. I then blended the use of the other tables after adjusting the IVO and watching the blip spikes.

With each bike I worked with throttle blip (only bikes with stumble off idle) working with the best idle by adjusting tables would give me the sharpest and best matching spikes. A flat top spike = stumble off idle with a quick throttle flick.

I started doing this after I tuned my 2010 SESG. When sitting at a long red light my riding buddies like to make a bit of nervous noise but they couldn't match my quick throttle up and back to idle RPM. Theirs would cough or run the RPM's up and slowly back down after they released their throttles.

This is what pushed me to find the best yet sharpest throttle I could find for other bikes. (Quickest RPM up and back down) Don't forget to read what else I said... There was never really a challenge as to whether it worked for others because it takes lots of patience for little gain more than ego blipping.

I think the only person who put as much effort in this beside me was Wurk Truk. (RIP) He found it eventful in a few bikes he tuned but like me... not every bike had the same results and some would never show a sharp spike no matter what.

The following users liked this post:
Gordon61 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Good info, thank you sir

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Let me know what you find Gordon. It would be interesting to see what you come up with.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,258 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Do you guys know what the IVO setting is doing?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Do you guys know what the IVO setting is doing?
Not really, but I'm wondering if different tuning devices are using those settings differently.

Edit: I presume it is how much suck and when, and when to stop spitting fuel into the intake will come into it all somewhere. There may be a bit of when to start spitting in fuel but anything above 32% or so duty cycle on the injectors has them spitting it onto the back of the intake valve before it opens anyways so maybe that's less important?

I've got a PV and did a quick test on all of the variations of IVO/IVC. They seem to change the VE tables in the lower revs/TPS area and have an effect on the displayed MAP at idle. But it was more interesting than anything else.

I posted some info on (cough) the other side thinking there were maybe more PV tuners over there but it didn't get any interest. Mine is running really well now so I'm down to splitting hairs for the fun/interest of it, hence the interest in Mr Wizard's blip test.

Last edited by Gordon61; 12-12-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS: Throttle Blip Test