"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Ocala area

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 AM
MLZ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ocala area

There's about a fifty/fifty chance my wife and I will be moving to Ocala in the next few months, and I wanted to ask a few questions from riders from that part of the state.

I'll preface this with saying I know weather can't be predicted. I'm just looking for a norm. From the research I've done, I've gotten the impression that June through September is generally hot, muggy, and miserable, but that October through April and into May is fairly nice. Dry, not much rain, and moderate temperatures and humidity. Lows in January and December can get down into the forties and fifties, but highs often range into the upper sixties and low seventies.

So, what do you Marion County riders think? Am I anywhere close to the truth with these assumptions? I'll also add that one of the big draws to this move would be being able to ride year around. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

If you are looking for the better riding north of Tampa. If you want better winter weather south of Tampa. . it seems like the fronts have stalled out around the Tampa area. Living in the Ft Myers area most my life. Just not that many country roads to choose from . During winter a lot of traffic.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:44 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I live in Lake City which is in North Central Florida, where I 10 and I 75 cross, about an hour north of Ocala. I mostly ride October through June here, sometimes in January and February it gets a little chilly, once or twice I even broke out my chaps. In the summers I head 4 hours north up I 75 and ride in the Smoky Mountains.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 09-18-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

You'll like that area of Florida. It has some of the better riding roads and its easy to get to the east coast or west coast. The summer temps don't bother me as much as the cold days that happen now and then during the winter. Good luck with your possible move.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Summer heat affects folks differently. Some don't ride at all June thru September. I am one that loves the heat and hates the cold. I ride all year and break out the electrics (you can call me a *****) at the first cold spell. I rode all year when I lived in the Smoky Mountains. Just getting too old to handle cold weather. Would not live anywhere that I could not ride year 'round. I think you will see more bikes around Ocala in one week that you would see all year in Utah!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:48 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'm way further south but after a couple of years in Florida you will soon love to hate the cold (under 65 degrees lol) and not be too bothered by the heat riding, as long as you are moving!
You learn to do your yard work early in the day, park your car in shade and seek places with AC. You will become an expert weather radar reader but will still get it wrong and get soaked on a ride.

The following users liked this post:
B3vis (09-26-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 09:44 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I live near Daytona Beach and Ocala is a great area to ride. One thing, and I don't know why it is....but in the winter months, Ocala seems to be the
coldest area. Hope your plans work out where ever you go.

Chuck

Old 09-19-2016, 11:51 AM
MLZ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your replies, everyone. We're both hoping this works out, but it'll be a few more weeks before we know for sure.