"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Key West Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key West Suggestions

it was suggested I repost this here to get more responses, so here goes:
From central Mississippi down, what are the best routes, places to stay, things to see, good eats. I was thinking about going down to Mexico Beach, and on down towards Ft. Myers, bypassing the St. Pete/Tampa congestion, and on to Key West. On the way back, coming up around Okeechobee, toward Titusville, on to Daytona, to Tallahassee and home. We have scheduled about 8 days off for this trip. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I approach long trips like this. At the start of a trip, you are the freshest, so you can ride farther on those days. I would boogie down south as best you can, then on the way home, do some wandering. It also gives you the option to spend more time in Key West, if you desire. And I think you will. If you take three days to get down there, and three to get home, you'll only have 2 days in Key West. And that may be enough time down there, depending upon what time you arrive. But by no means, do you want to LEAVE Key West late in the day. You will not get very far. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Hey, when are you planning to do your trip? Let us know, lot of good people here in the FLCrew.

The following users liked this post:
Glydin (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like you are going to Key West to say "I been there." Florida is a BIG state....riding-wise. And you want to do Mexico Beach/Panama City area....Ft Myers, the Lake, Cocoa/Titusville/Kennedy Space Center (I assume)...and
Daytona (stop by St Augustine since you are so close!)I am sure it is doable..be sure to meet some people along the way.
Post up when you get nearer to planning.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

When you get to Duval St, hang a right!! Go left and you will be with all the "alternative lifestyle" folks...

Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Wow that's a lot to do in 8 days, not saying you can't do it but remember that the Keys has one road and it's not a fast one. Allow 3 hours to go from anywhere near Miami to KW and it can be longer if you get stuck in traffic. Best time to leave KW is the morning. Miles don't equate hours in Florida, it all depends on the roads you take and if you get caught in a jam.

I'd say Palm Beach to KW is going to be close to 4 to 5 hours. Palm Beach to Daytona is around 3 hours on I-95, watch out for rush hours from Palm Beach and south.

Glydin (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:06 AM
SkydiverRick
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice is to stay on one of the other Keys. Everything costs more on Key West. I like Islamorada myself. I ride down to KW in the morning and spend the day, then I return to Islamorada. There is a bar/restaurant that is open until 4am called Hog Heaven. They have live entertainment. The motels usually have chairs near the beach where you can enjoy a beer if you don't want to go out. There is a hamburger joint called "M.E.A.T. Eatery and Taproom". I highly recommend them. Google them. You may need some mosquito repellent down there. Also don't forget to stop and get some pictures with Betsy the lobster.

Glydin (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 AM
SkydiverRick
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing. Don't expect to see much of the lake when you ride by Lake Okeechobee. There is a dike built for flood control around the lake. There are places to access the lake to get a look though.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Consider reviewing the Eaglerider website. The motorcycle rental company.
They have about 7 self drive tours in FLORIDA that are viewable and could be educational.
That should give you an idea on how to study your project.
There is a lot of information available on this forum but your question is huge without a general idea of budget, desires or time of year.
For example some people are just about the ride and do not stop to see or eat at places.
Some ride interstate while others prefer back roads.
Some camp and some stay in hotels...Anything in Key West proper during season is expensive at $200+ a night for low end but it is best to stay within walking distance to Duval street if you want to understand Key West.
Some ride 150 miles a day and others ride 600 miles a day.
Other folks tour, stop and enjoy eating at certain places.
Again, a huge question.
Consider ordering the MADMAPS for Florida for about $15.
It will document the best touring roads and generally avoids highways.
This would be the link to MADMAPS
http://madmaps.myshopify.com/product...map-of-florida
Then below is a link to Eagle rider:
http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle...torcycle-tours
If you were to review those two items and return to the forum then folks could help you fine tune your trip with detailed stops along the route you select.
As very general information:
Try to avoid interstates in Florida.
Try to avoid Tamiami Trail from Tampa to Naples (that is the north south portion) unless it is a short ride (5 or 6 miles).
Avoid taking i-95 south of Ft Pierce.
Do not take US-1 from the end of I-95 to the start of the Florida Keys or in reverse. It looks OK on the map but it is a traffic jam.
You mention Ft Myers, Hotels in Ft Myers are expensive during season and the roads congested, consider the alternative of Sarasota....You will be able to go over the Sunshine Skyway bridge to get to it if you like...super tall bridge..nice coastal beach ride near Sarasota, a place to eat near the water and there are numerous hotel choices at different price points, they also have the Ringling house and museum on the water. Several Hotel choices near little Sarasota airport along University...budget places are on Tamiami.
Sarasota gets you quickly into nice roads in the center of state to go south when you depart.
Do consider taking Tamiami /41 east west from route 29 to 997/krome during DAYLIGHT to see some alligators and maybe take an airboat ride near the Value Jet memorial.
Also, do not look at a map and think that from Homestead to Key West is only x number of miles...it takes 4 hours from city of Homestead to Key West with very little stopping and enjoying nothing. Speed control is enforced and a small accident can double the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by im:
Glydin (01-19-2017), Skylit1967 (02-01-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM
B3vis
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

On your way back up towrds the Lake, PM me and I'll ride with you. I live on the West shores of the Lake O

Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Glydin
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B3vis
On your way back up towrds the Lake, PM me and I'll ride with you. I live on the West shores of the Lake O
Will do!

Quick Reply: Key West Suggestions