Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Cam bearing failed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Shrekk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Inner Cam bearing failed

Hello, new to the forum, just got done taking my 06 Road King Classic apart due to loss of oil pressure. Inner cam bearing failed and roasted the oil pump. Looks like all the parts stayed in the cam chest, or are trapped in the oil filter (I hope) Any pointers/tips before going back together? Haven't done a runout on the crank yet, but plan to go back with hydraulic tensioners, new cams, oil pump and cam plate, & inner bearing of course.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

go with the pre 03 bearings

Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Just did this, easy job.
Make sure you upgrade the inner cam bearings from INA to torrington.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I sure wouldn't trust there isn't metal every where. I'd split the cases and really clean it all out.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop the oil pan and clean it out. You might need full flush as well. One lifter failed on my 09, ESP would only cover replacement of the lifter, oil pump and cam support plate, no flush, etc.. Look what came out in the oil when I changed it the first time. Not good. ESP runs out Dec-2015 so will see if it goes again before then.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrekk
Hello, new to the forum, just got done taking my 06 Road King Classic apart due to loss of oil pressure. Inner cam bearing failed and roasted the oil pump. Looks like all the parts stayed in the cam chest, or are trapped in the oil filter (I hope) Any pointers/tips before going back together? Haven't done a runout on the crank yet, but plan to go back with hydraulic tensioners, new cams, oil pump and cam plate, & inner bearing of course.

Thanks
I have a friend that is an indy that has done a few of these and one thing he says is split the cases and do a good clean out. There places that these small roller bearings can lodge in the crankcase and eventually end up in the oil pump which will take it out. You say the parts (roller bearings) stayed in the cam chest, but my friend told me about a case where the customer claimed the same thing. When he split the cases there were several bearing still in the crankcase. It only takes one to ruin your day.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Another suggestion...replace the lifters if they are the original ones...use a high quality lifter, don't scrimp on this! I suggest S&S or JIM's, but I'm not a Harley mechanic...some guys like Gatormans, I have no experience with these, but the ones I mentioned are ones that I KNOW are good for the distance...but don't trust the ones ya got unless they've already been changed out...bad lifters are pretty common...generally no way to tell that they're going bad...unless, of course, you hear that 'ticking' as the engine runs...

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Don't half *** it.....you will regret it down the road... even if you think nothing went in the case you MIGHT be wrong and it will cost you later...

Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM
c130loader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the bike when it went?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lost my rear cam bearing (06 88") last summer that took out my oil pump also. Splitting the cases to clean everything was mandatory. Since the runout was crap. while in there, was the perfect time to add a stroker crank.

Quick Reply: Inner Cam bearing failed