Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Road King Police Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Av8bman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Road King Police Edition

I am have ignition problems and also not getting power to the fuel pump. turn on ignition an everything comes on but wiening noise from pump new pump at that and when I changed the pump the bike started right up and then but everything back togeather nothing have power to all the lights new battery and it the starter button and nothing any idea sounds like a ground issue to me but looked for any loose wires and all looked good, Any ideas

Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

wiring diagram ?

check to see if you have a tip-over switch.
( and this is maybe where you want to head over to the Evo forum)

on later models ..99 & 2000 I think, the bracket for the tip over switch could break and the switch would dangle on the wires...on those it is mounted inboard of the rt side cover ignition module...kinda over top of the swingarm. you model could be similar- I stayed far far away from early efi HD's.

you may have more than one problem.

make sure you are in neutral

pull the terminal off the solenoid ( green wire)...

get a 3' piece of wire and crimp a terminal on the end-attach to the solenoid where the green wire was..touch the other end to the battery + terminal.

this will make the starter run and crank the motor.

if the starter doesn;t run, checks are battery, cables, solenoid, starter

what this does is bypass the starter switch, kill switch, starter relay and the wiring through the bike- the "starter primary circuit" and allows us to check the solenoid and starter, starter drive

post back

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-01-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you saying that you just changed the fuel pump, and when you tested it on the bike it worked, but once you buttoned everything up the bike does not now start? If so then something happened when you reassembled the bike. Check fuses first. Then go back and disassemble the bike and make sure that there is still power going to the fuel pump. If you have power then you pinched or disconnected something on reassembly. If not then the pump is probably toast. Is this an OEM Harley pump or did you buy one of the cheapies off eBay?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Av8bman
2nd Gear

Larsfum
I had started the bike with the tank cover on and the ignition councel was installed. I am not getting power to the power wire that hooks on the cover plate for tank access. It is an OEM fuel pump. I am taking your advise and back track and I will check the green wire check as well and thanks for the reply will let you know thanks AV8BMAN

Old 10-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Av8bman
2nd Gear

MKguitar I will try what you said and let you know what happen. It also seem like I'm missing a ground some where going to soom back tracking on the reassemble just to make sure something didn't come unhooked will let you know and thank for the advise.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
twobanger
Advanced
Default wire

Originally Posted by Av8bman
I am have ignition problems and also not getting power to the fuel pump. turn on ignition an everything comes on but wiening noise from pump new pump at that and when I changed the pump the bike started right up and then but everything back togeather nothing have power to all the lights new battery and it the starter button and nothing any idea sounds like a ground issue to me but looked for any loose wires and all looked good, Any ideas
Check the single wire that plugs into the tab on the top of the tank.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

This thread was from September..is bike still sick?
If it is sick : The one wire connection that is between front of seat and under the fuel tank might be loose...
Unrelated to your problem: PLEASE check the CRANK position sensor connector on throttle side of bike...located behind the painted plastic side cover that is under your seat....look for the connector at the triangle frame area...see the push and turn black connector for the CRANK sensor ? double check connection and tie wrap it several times...