Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default looking for input

ok guys, i have the 2012 ultra limited i picked it up a week and a half ago.. it is still stock and im looking to switch out the mufflers with slip-ons... this is what im looking for... a set of slip-ons that have a low mellow sound at an idle but also have a good bark when i get on it, i really dont want to change the whole exhaust, but i will be changing the airbox at a later time... who run this type of slip-on that im looking for and what do you have?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

sound is as subjective as it comes sir so asking for sound advice here is like as what oil to use. I have several pipes I like the sound of but some are not so great on the hp/tq side of things. There's a fine balance you must find for YOU.

IMO, get you a set of 2010 and up 4" CVO stock mufflers for now. They'll sound great.
change your A/C later but remember when you change both of these components then you should tune. One or the other is fine but both, then you should tune.

Also, I would highly suggest you get rid of the restrictive cat in that head pipe. There is a guy here on the forum (continental something) that does excellent work with stock head pipes in removing that cat. If you do this and with those stock CVO pipes, you'll have an exhaust you'll love.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-20-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Ha! I would say that every muffler review that I ever read on line says "great sound at idle, really barks when you get on it". some even say "quiet while cruising, can easily hear my radio."

You can't get a good answer to that question in writing - you have to listen for yourself. Go anywhere where a lot of bikes gather and listen for people riding in and ask them what they have. Even youtube videos are better than a forum.

ps don't be one of those idiots that buys the loudest exhaust he can find to make himself badass - you just **** off the non riding public and aren't making your stock bike any faster/better than a proper set of mufflers/head pipes.

Last edited by Joe12RK; 10-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
ps don't be one of those idiots that buys the loudest exhaust he can find to make himself badass - you just **** off the non riding public and aren't making your stock bike any faster/better than a proper set of mufflers/head pipes.
i have no desire to be one of those, i had the big radius on my fxdc and they were a bit louder then what im looking for on the ultra, for the most part i like the sound of it now, but would like just a little bit more sound from it.. the stock radio has a bit to be desired... i had a buddy that had the RK and he was running the megaphone for exhaust, and i like how those were good with the barking when he got on it, and yet i think it would be just a hair much

Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

you may like the sound if you just remove the catalytic converter - and your right leg will thank you.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Getting rid of your catalytic converter will change the sound of the pipes as well. I would say my 4" Jackpot muffers from Fuel Moto increased ~20% in sound after I removed the cat. I thought they were a bit too quiet before removing the cat now they are perfect.

Sound is a very subjective thing. I'm not too picky so I ended up going with Fuel Moto because I could get the entire package from them.. pipes, air cleaner, tuner, and get great support from that setup.

As far as the pipes themselves I would say they Fuel Moto Jackpot 4" pipes that I have are pretty quiet when at idle or slow speed compared to other pipes.. they don't have the really distinct sound at idle.. if you get on it really hard they sound great and are pretty loud, at highway speeds they were pretty quiet as well I thought until I removed the cat then I would say they got moderately loud.. I also think they sound great on deceleration.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

yeah Joe that right leg does get a bit warm

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
yeah Joe that right leg does get a bit warm
Hey Deano - Sound is so subjective...two ways you can go - buy something and see if you like it OR go listen to different bikes THEN buy what sounds good to you.

For me, I knew that I was eventually going to replace the head pipe so I did that before I did the mufflers. I'm happy with the performance and the sound is a bit more than stock. Getting the mufflers first, then changing the head pipe later may not give you the results you want (much louder).

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
For me, I knew that I was eventually going to replace the head pipe so I did that before I did the mufflers. I'm happy with the performance and the sound is a bit more than stock. Getting the mufflers first, then changing the head pipe later may not give you the results you want (much louder).
Yeah, this. I had Rush slip-ons that were just a bit quiet with stock pipes, but when I replaced the head pipe with the FM pipe, the Rush's almost got a bit too loud.

As to removing the cat, unless you absolutely, positively need to do your mods now, I'd recommend waiting until the spring to gut/swap the head pipe - that converter heat can be mighty welcome in the winter.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
ok guys, i have the 2012 ultra limited i picked it up a week and a half ago.. it is still stock and im looking to switch out the mufflers with slip-ons... this is what im looking for... a set of slip-ons that have a low mellow sound at an idle but also have a good bark when i get on it, i really dont want to change the whole exhaust, but i will be changing the airbox at a later time... who run this type of slip-on that im looking for and what do you have?
Check out Mgs slip ons four-inch cans four-inch billit tips nice sound and they are really reasonable $300

Quick Reply: looking for input