Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasty noise from back of bike after wash

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM
jjscott
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nasty noise from back of bike after wash

My 2014 Street Glide Special makes one heck of a noise when riding it immediately after washing, but only for a short period of time. After drying it, I start it and let it warm up for 1-2 minutes. I then take it on a very short ride to blow all the water out of the nooks and crannies. I don’t even get half way down my street and the bike starts making a nasty rattling sound from the back end of the bike almost like there are marbles in the mufflers. If memory serves, it typically happens when I am even on the throttle or decelerating. There have been times when I just take for a ride after washing it and keep going. In those scenarios, the rattle will last for 5-10 miles and then it’s gone.

At first I thought water may have gotten in the mufflers and as the bike heated up, the water began to boil thus causing the noise. This would explain why the noise only lasted for a short period of time - once the water evaporated, the noise is gone. But water boils at 212 degrees and I don’t see how the exhaust pipes at the back of the bike would get up to that temperature in that short of a period of time. Doesn’t make any sense. One person suggested that maybe the belt being wet would cause the noise, but I’ve been caught in the rain several times and never experienced as issue. Really weird. It sounds like the back of the bike is coming apart.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Does it sound like the abs?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was usually the exwife...she hated that I paid my attention to the Harley...

Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you are doing it wrong.

use a few plastic bags to seal the intake and both mufflers from water.

mist the bike with water.

bucket of suds and sponge

rinse

chamois most of the water off ( or use a leaf blower)

easy like that, never use a pressure washer near a bike

kinda wondering if water is being forced into the IDS

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-25-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: made text bold for emphasis
Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

No high pressure washing. No need.
High pressure washers force water where it shouldn't be going in the first place.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 AM
jjscott
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you are doing it wrong.

use a few plastic bags to seal the intake and both mufflers from water.

mist the bike with water.

bucket of suds and sponge

rinse

chamois most of the water off ( or use a leaf blower)

easy like that, never use a pressure washer near a bike

kinda wondering if water is being forced into the IDS

mike

How do you know I'm doing it wrong? I never said that I'm using a pressure washer to wash the bike. I'm not. I mist the bike when rinsing and never direct the mist inside the mufflers or the intake. I've owned bikes for 30 years and been washing them, basically the same way and never encountered this problem. As I originally said, I don't know if this is an issue with water inside the mufflers. It was just a guess, which I feel may be wrong. My friend has the exact same bike, with the exact same setup and never seals the mufflers or intake when washing it and he doesn't have this issue.

Last edited by jjscott; 10-25-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dochawken
That was usually the exwife...she hated that I paid my attention to the Harley...

Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Yes, you didn't indicate a washing method in original post so we can only assume so...take the offered advice with "constructive" criticism. It was my first thought as well...

Now that you relayed washing method, this could be something related to your rear drive assy (e.g. brakes, bearings, belt, rotors, etc...). I'd go with brakes, but when the bike's under warranty the most logical recommendation is to set-up time for your dealer's service dept to assess. Otherwise we're all just taking a stab at guesswork. Maybe someone has experienced a similar issue, but getting your issue documented in HD's service system can be added assistance later...if dealer doesn't locate any problems.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Have them wash it at the dealer then let a tech test ride it. Hopefully the problem replicates itself there and then.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 AM
jjscott
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Yes, you didn't indicate a washing method in original post so we can only assume so...take the offered advice with "constructive" criticism. It was my first thought as well...

Now that you relayed washing method, this could be something related to your rear drive assy (e.g. brakes, bearings, belt, rotors, etc...). I'd go with brakes, but when the bike's under warranty the most logical recommendation is to set-up time for your dealer's service dept to assess. Otherwise we're all just taking a stab at guesswork. Maybe someone has experienced a similar issue, but getting your issue documented in HD's service system can be added assistance later...if dealer doesn't locate any problems.

I appreciate the advice and do plan on taking it to the dealership for their evaluation.

Quick Reply: Nasty noise from back of bike after wash