Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Tour Glide FLT Project: Refresh & Revive

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM
ebross217
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Tour Glide FLT Project: Refresh & Revive

Hi all,

A little history, My dad bought this bike brand spankin' new in 1980 and has owned it since. Over the last 10 years the bike has mostly sat, as he has slowly accepted that he never going to ride it again becuase it is too big for him and he's too old for it. He is presently working on a '73 Sportster restoration project, so his heart is still in the right place.

The FLT runs and drives but it needs work. It has a little over 18K miles on it. He put new tires on it a few years back, bought a Shorai battery for it last year, and has kept the bike in overall good shape, just due to the love he still has for it. But it has not been ridden.

His intention has always been to leave me the bike when he passes away, but has since decided that he would rather have me have the bike before then. I have been riding a small Honda and have been looking to get into something with some room for taking (mostly my old lady's) stuff with us. So he is very exited to have me working on the bike and bringing it back to life.

The bike needs maintenance on wear items and a top end. The compression in the front is 125 but the rear is around 75. I suspect this is why it shakes really badly around 1600-2100 RPM. The front motor mount is sagged out and needs to be replaced for sure. There are lots of engine parts for Shovels, and I have been working on engines all my life, so I will get this type of thing sorted out.

I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but I do want to update things here and there, and do some minor customizations to improve the very dated looks of the bike.

Question: Does anyone have known good source for a replacement windshield for this year and model? It looks like 80-83 use a different windshield than 1984 and later.

I want to find a replacement, or even a used one, that I can cut down low and paint the backside black. I cannot comfortably see through the old shield that is on the bike right now, and I don't want to cut up the original parts. The short 17" shield is on the bike right now, and I have the taller original one, but I don't want to cut up an original, good, OEM part.

Next Question: Tour-Pack backrest/arm rests.

I am having a hard time finding a clear answer on what backrest will fit the King Tour Pack that is on this bike. It looks like Drag Specialties offers one they list as fitting 80-83, has anyone used it and did you like it? The part numbers and years listed vary from dealer to dealer website regarding the Mustang so I am not sure of fitment. I requested info from Mustang asking, but have not heard back.

Open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome. FLT's are great machines. feel free to ask any questions. i had/have a 81, but am doing a custom build with it.

here's a source for windshield.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...flt-1980-1983/

the backrests... you're better off just buying something and making it fit. that's what i did. just found a stock take off and attached it to the upper portion of the lid. works good.

Mike

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

I would suggest contacting JohnnyC here on the forums. He has the same bike if I'm not mistake and lives in the same state as you do. I believe he's in Flint, Mi.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 AM
ebross217
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
welcome. FLT's are great machines. feel free to ask any questions. i had/have a 81, but am doing a custom build with it.

here's a source for windshield.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...flt-1980-1983/

the backrests... you're better off just buying something and making it fit. that's what i did. just found a stock take off and attached it to the upper portion of the lid. works good.

Mike
Thanks for the link! I am going to try to find a used stock windshield to customize. $168 for a new one I am going to cut and paint is more than I want to spend just now, or I can add $40 to that and order a custom height, and then paint it.

Any chance you can post a picture of your Tour Pack with the late model backrest? Or post a bit about what you had to do to make it fit?

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

don't have a current pic of the tour pack. it's sitting in the attic. it's simple once you look at it. i just made new holes in the tour pack and mounted it the lid.

the problem with modifying a stock windshield is they're 30+ years old. very brittle and not clear anymore. mine cracked in 3 places just removing it from the bike.

mike

Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearview Custom FLT project

[QUOTE=ebross217;13367097]Hi all,

A little history, My dad bought this bike brand spankin' new in 1980 and has owned it since. Over the last 10 years the bike has mostly sat, as he has slowly accepted that he never going to ride it again becuase it is too big for him and he's too old for it. He is presently working on a '73 Sportster restoration project, so his heart is still in the right place.

The FLT runs and drives but it needs work. It has a little over 18K miles on it. He put new tires on it a few years back, bought a Shorai battery for it last year, and has kept the bike in overall good shape, just due to the love he still has for it. But it has not been ridden.

His intention has always been to leave me the bike when he passes away, but has since decided that he would rather have me have the bike before then. I have been riding a small Honda and have been looking to get into something with some room for taking (mostly my old lady's) stuff with us. So he is very exited to have me working on the bike and bringing it back to life.

The bike needs maintenance on wear items and a top end. The compression in the front is 125 but the rear is around 75. I suspect this is why it shakes really badly around 1600-2100 RPM. The front motor mount is sagged out and needs to be replaced for sure. There are lots of engine parts for Shovels, and I have been working on engines all my life, so I will get this type of thing sorted out.

I want to keep it as close to original as possible, but I do want to update things here and there, and do some minor customizations to improve the very dated looks of the bike.

Question: Does anyone have known good source for a replacement windshield for this year and model? It looks like 80-83 use a different windshield than 1984 and later.

I want to find a replacement, or even a used one, that I can cut down low and paint the backside black. I cannot comfortably see through the old shield that is on the bike right now, and I don't want to cut up the original parts. The short 17" shield is on the bike right now, and I have the taller original one, but I don't want to cut up an original, good, OEM part.

Next Question: Tour-Pack backrest/arm rests.

I am having a hard time finding a clear answer on what backrest will fit the King Tour Pack that is on this bike. It looks like Drag Specialties offers one they list as fitting 80-83, has anyone used it and did you like it? The part numbers and years listed vary from dealer to dealer website regarding the Mustang so I am not sure of fitment. I requested info from Mustang asking, but have not heard back.

Open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

Hello,

I am the project manager for Clearview Shields and I caught your post this morning for a new Custom Screen for your FLT 80-83. We are currently building a custom screen for another rider putting together a FLT raffle bike.
After Talking with him He agreed to release the design to any other rider that in turn reduces his costs on the project and any new interested parties costs as well. The only draw back is that all parties would need to share the same design.

If you are interested please call us and we can discuss what we are doing for the other client. We can currently save you the 10% forum discount along with an additional $20.00 (half the mod fee). Total would be around $148.00 for a Dark Gray Custom Screen.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2014, 12:15 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

can't beat that offer

Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Clearview Shields
We can currently save you the 10% forum discount along with an additional $20.00 (half the mod fee).
Bam.

That's what I like about this place. GREAT sponsors!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:52 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Tourpac backrest fitment.

I picked up a AMF era King tourpac with no pad or holes and here on the forum picked up a backrest for it from a 2008 or so and it fit just fine.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 AM
ebross217
Intermediate

Hi all,

So just a quick status update on this project.

I have ordered the S&S 80" complete top end kit with heads and I am in the process of tearing the bike and engine down right now. I figured this is the best way to go, rather than shipping old parts all over the country in hopes of getting good machine work done in a timely fashion, avoiding the frustration of shipping time and costs, etc. The S&S parts are just are beautiful, and are way better than stock anyway.

I have installed Paul Yaffe 10" black 'bagger ape hangers' to replace the horrible stock beach bars. They are the perfect height on this bike for me, and the wrist angle is much better. Everything has been mocked up and seems to fit really well so far. And they look cool. I routed a new brake line and now I am working on installing the D.S. new switch kit with extended wires. I ordered the Barnett stainless braided clutch and throttle in +6 each and new levers to replace the worn out clutch lever. I also ordered the all black Avon grips.

I am working with Craig at Clearview to get a custom windshield made, he has been great to work with and very helpful.

Future plans are for an alternator upgrade kit to 32 amp and an OEM Keihin CV carb, and probably a S&S air cleaner. But this is all after the engine is past the break-in. And eventually some better flowing mufflers, although I don't want the bike loud at all so I will have to do my homework there.

Once I get a bit more progress made I will post back.

And once it is back together I'll post some pictures.

Quick Reply: 1980 Tour Glide FLT Project: Refresh & Revive