Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with 10” handlebars/MBB/apes etc..wind exposure

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM
BlackTez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I have the 10" MBB and can tell you that I get very minimal wind on the hands. They are in line with the top of the fairing whereas the 12" would be above the fairing and I can't see how you wouldn't catch wind on the hands with anything higher than the 10". Just my 2 cents worth.

That's what I wanted to know. I like the looks of the higher apes but also want the functionality of the fairing...I like to ride in the winter and kind of wanted to be behind the fairing for once. I am coming off a Road King with 12" Yaffe MBB..Thank you.,

Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM
NorthEnd
Advanced

LA Chopper 13" Twin Peaks on my '14 SGS. In the elements for sure but Very Happy!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

No wind with my 10's but I have them pulled back a little to help with comfort for my back. I love mine and have never wished I went any higher. But at 5'8" there all I need, at 5'11" you might regret getting 10's? Any chance of going to your dealer and seeing if they have any second hand bikes that might have apes installed that you could sit o and see how they feel?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
BlackTez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
No wind with my 10's but I have them pulled back a little to help with comfort for my back. I love mine and have never wished I went any higher. But at 5'8" there all I need, at 5'11" you might regret getting 10's? Any chance of going to your dealer and seeing if they have any second hand bikes that might have apes installed that you could sit o and see how they feel?

good idea hd_rolling...I will try and sit on some bikes if I get an opportunity. BTW hd_rolling, your bike look A1 with those 10" apes almost looks like they are taller. fits the bike very well

Old 10-31-2014, 01:56 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTez
good idea hd_rolling...I will try and sit on some bikes if I get an opportunity. BTW hd_rolling, your bike look A1 with those 10" apes almost looks like they are taller. fits the bike very well
Thanks brother, they fit me perfect. I think some have mentioned that the PYO 10" bars measure closer to 11 1/2 12". Never measured so I can't confirm, I did sit on a used bike with 10" PYO bars and they felt right so that's why I went with them.

As tall as you are I would think you wouldn't want your bars pulled back as much as I have mine, but I've had many people on the fence about getting apes sit on mine for reference and they all loved how they feel where there at.

Whatever you decide to go with height wise if your having a shop install them I would ask them to let you sit after the bars are installed so you can get them were you want them before they tighten down. I installed my own and had to open everything up a couple times to get them were I wanted them.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:04 PM
BlackTez
Cruiser

good point on trying them out before the reassemble....im hoping to do the job myself if I can avoid any soldering of the electical wires. From what I've read, the NAMZ extensions are Plug and Play....if that means no splicing and soldering wires, I think I can handle the job. I HOPE

Old 11-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the 10" yaffee monkey bars on mine. I didn't want to go above fairing so these bars are perfect for me. I don't get any wind on my wrists and no longer have discomfort in my back from the stock bars. I have zero regrets on getting the height I got. Look great and feel even better

Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Melroy
I have the 10" yaffee monkey bars on mine. I didn't want to go above fairing so these bars are perfect for me. I don't get any wind on my wrists and no longer have discomfort in my back from the stock bars. I have zero regrets on getting the height I got. Look great and feel even better

Plus One, I have the 10 MMBs and really like them. I am 6' but have back problems and never liked the "wheel barrel" feel of the stock bars. For me, the 10" works best for comfort, control and wind protection. They may not have the style of the larger bars but that wasn't a factor for me.

Be Safe JIM

Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The Yaffe bars are taller than others meaning 10" MB are the size of most other 12"'bars

Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I have 10" LA Chopper PrimeApes and @ 5'11" (same as OP) the hands do catch a little wind, but ride comfort really improved. I couldn't get my stock bars pulled-back (reach) far enough so always felt like I leaned forward. Now I sit just right and, like hd rolling, have them pulled back a tad. Worked for me, but I'm a weenie when it comes to winter riding in NE...

If you go with higher apes, just ensure you get heated grips and gear...it'll probably work better than having hands below fairing. Good luck!