Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics LED question

I'm aware that they seem to last forever but if one goes bad on a trip away from a replacement, can you install a standard bulb in a signal/running lamp and get by? Specifically on a 13 SG with load equalizer installed.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Litewings
I'm aware that they seem to last forever but if one goes bad on a trip away from a replacement, can you install a standard bulb in a signal/running lamp and get by? Specifically on a 13 SG with load equalizer installed.
Not sure but I would think so. If I were concerned, I would pop in a regular bulb and see for myself. Couldn't take more than a minute or 2.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

The individual LED elements would burn-out before a total failure. You're thinking too deep into failed parts. You only have two tires...do you need to carry a spare one too? Get my point...

Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Wolfman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vickers1,
What kinda extended bags do you have on that red glide?
Thanks

Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 PM
joshuapowers1
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not my bike but an educated guess they r Harleys CVO bags. I want them!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

when I installed the fronts I tried 1 cd and standard bulb, both worked together

Last edited by Melroy; 11-23-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

My only thought on this is:with the load equalizer installed,when you put in a normal bulb you a going to be drawing nearly twice the current that you normally would.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowrider1998
Hey Vickers1,
What kinda extended bags do you have on that red glide?
Thanks
HD CVO bags

Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by dansflhti
My only thought on this is:with the load equalizer installed,when you put in a normal bulb you a going to be drawing nearly twice the current that you normally would.
My thoughts would be similar in that it would cause an increased load if there was an inline(wired) load equalizer installed.
If there was an inline(wired) load equalizer then the unit could be over taxed by the increased wattage/amp demand.
If you read most load equalizer "papers" they will include a rating and most electrical ratings are low because they are designed for LED.
The second problem would be if someone installed a module that required LED lights, such as some run, turn and brake modules. The increased load of a regular bulb could overheat the module and destroy it.
Auto parts have plenty of LED bulbs in stock, in an emergency situation a quick change-out will get you functional...might get an error code, error light or a rapid flash blinker but it will get you going and visible.
Not a bad question since stuff does break...I have seen plenty of 100,000 hour LED's give-up the ghost..The LED itself are good but the electronics or connections in the bulb die making the bulb inoperable and unfixable for most..Easy to see if you notice the third LED brake light strip on some cars.

Last edited by im; 12-04-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Litewings
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by im
My thoughts would be similar in that it would cause an increased load if there was an inline(wired) load equalizer installed.
If there was an inline(wired) load equalizer then the unit could be over taxed by the increased wattage/amp demand.
If you read most load equalizer "papers" they will include a rating and most electrical ratings are low because they are designed for LED.
The second problem would be if someone installed a module that required LED lights, such as some run, turn and brake modules. The increased load of a regular bulb could overheat the module and destroy it.
Auto parts have plenty of LED bulbs in stock, in an emergency situation a quick change-out will get you functional...might get an error code, error light or a rapid flash blinker but it will get you going and visible.
Not a bad question since stuff does break...I have seen plenty of 100,000 hour LED's give-up the ghost..The LED itself are good but the electronics or connections in the bulb die making the bulb inoperable and unfixable for most..Easy to see if you notice the third LED brake light strip on some cars.

Great answer

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics LED question