Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM
djodrey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King Crash

I am looking at a 99 Road King with 7000 original miles. The bike needs the crash bar replaced and the tank has a dent in the lower portion where the bar was bent back into it. I'm getting the bike for a great price but the problem i have is he said the crash bar bent into the tank when the bike fell over in the garage. I don't see how that is possible are the bars that weak? He also says that it has i rebuilt title for that reason. I don't mind buying it with a rebuilt title and i understand the year of the bike but would that really make the insurance have you get a rebuilt title? Also how much does the title affect the price? I'm going to look at it Wednesday i would like to know your opinions on price. I know it will need a tank, highway bar and floor board. I'm really excited to get a road king i'm a bigger guy and have been riding a sporty around so i really need the bigger bike and my budget is limited right now. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Caveat Emptor in all cases, but in this case, the guys an OBVIOUS LIAR. Engine guards don't bend into the tank if the bike falls over + you not are required to get a salvage title if that happens

Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have accidentally dropped my Ultra in the garage, and it did nothing to the bike at all. I would also be very careful with any vehicle that has a salvage title. Can be very problematic to get retitled depending on your state. I would pass on it. The seller is obviously not willing to give you the truth.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM
djodrey
Cruiser

Thanks guys I didn't think it was possible for it to have just fallen over. The title is already done and i don't see where the rebuilt title will be a problem. What are the issue with rebuilt titles?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Sometimes when the crash bar folds it bends the frame at the mounting point. Insurance companies call that frame damage and total the bike. BUT, the crash bar would only fold up like that if they were going at speed and probably has other damage as well. If you're still interested, have a mechanic or friend check it out with u.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Btw, rebuilt titles lowers the value drastically. Not saying it's all bad, but know what u are getting into and then get it REALLY cheap as you'll have the same problem if u try to sell.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I'd figure it's worth HALF the going price of a not-wrecked bike. The guy is obviously lying about it,I'd back away. And,even if it was dropped without a crash bar,it wouldn't have TOTALED the bike.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM
djodrey
Cruiser

Thanks for all the help guys his starting point is 4k and i think i can get him down more. Is that reasonable with the title?

Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Sometimes when the crash bar folds it bends the frame at the mounting point. Insurance companies call that frame damage and total the bike. BUT, the crash bar would only fold up like that if they were going at speed and probably has other damage as well. If you're still interested, have a mechanic or friend check it out with u.
You are very close.

And more than insurance companies. HDFSI will not finance in this condition.

A salvage title means someone has been paid off as a result of being totaled.

Except... frame damage does not in and of itself automatically "TOTAL" the bike.

"Totaled" is a function of cost. It doesn't mean unrepairable. It means it would cost more to fix than it is worth. If a person chooses to spend the money and repair it,

A bent frame, as this likely is, can be an expensive repair, and CAN BE DONE without a salvage title.

I know for a fact if done at a dealer, a new frame can be ordered with your VIN (if the frame style is still in production), All original parts can be installed on the new frame, and the old frame neck must be cut off and returned to Harley Davidson for core.

Cost?

The estimates I was given... ish
Frame... $5,000
CORE... $5,000
Labor... $5,000

So $15000, less the 5k core:

$10,000 for just that bent mounting point. Add that to the price of any other damages, and you quickly get in to "totaled" price range.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Unless you are experienced with motorcycle accidents, frame repairs and very handy I would say steer clear. The value can vary greatly and have hidden damage. An "R" title could be 25%-75% reduction in value. The story you were given sounds fishy. I work in insurance and wrote motorcycle estimates for years. Its always the tricky hidden frame damage that shows up later. The bike might start to wear out parts due to misalignment of the the forks, trees, frame, rear swing arm etc.

Try a Carfax and see if an insurance company totalled the bike out. You might be totally fine but you may be caught in a money pit also. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Road King Crash