Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Hand Rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:47 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Passenger Hand Rail

Ok, so I searched the forums for threads using "passenger hand grab rails" and found a lot of discussion about the current HD grab rails and arm rests available.

The grab rails look they would keep me from getting access to my bags (2014 hard bags) They also look like they would be jabbing my wife in the thigh. Also, holding on to something that low, really doesn't provide that much leverage to stabilize yourself.

So, I've been thinking...I have the HD adjustable rider back rest. I can't really use it while i'm two up 'cause...well, lets just say my wife and I almost max out the GVW of the Road King.

She's currently happy holding on to the stock seat strap, but I've told her that thing is just a security blanket, I will break when you really need to hold on to it. Plus I think she is hunched over trying to hold on to it between her legs.

I'm wondering if copying the lower 3-4" of the rider back rest shank and attaching a "horn" not unlike a horse saddle horn to it, thus allowing me to make a removable hand hold for my wife...would that work. Also, I have concerns about having a short stubby piece of either metal, leather, wood, whatever I make it out of right at the base of my spine...

Do you all think I'm just gonna make the instrument that creates my paraplegia after an accident?

What say you?

Mike

Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I had the grab on my '95 FLHTC ( came with it).

she didn;t much use, as we had a tourpak.

handy for strapping my tbag & once in a while muscling the bike around the garage.

no digging into legs as they are positioned by the ***, no saddlebag lid problems on the '95.

didn;t bother buying for my 09.

why not get her a backrest?

mike

Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

You sound like you take some interesting rides.
Be careful with those saddlehorns, they can get painful!
"Hang on, Honey!"

Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

I've got a backrest for her. She just feels the need to hold on to something, which I don't begrudge her. Unfortunately, My "Saddle Horn" is too short. ;-)

Old 12-16-2014, 01:32 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

The grab rails do not interfere with the bags at all. We had them on my 2014, but removed them because they did jab my wife in the legs. We had them on my previous 2012 and they were great. With the Rushmore bikes came a redesign of the handholds. Now, not so good.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they are a necessity. If you have a panic stop the passenger should grab these. Without them the passenger will slide forward pushing you forward. The rider will have his hands full with grabbing both brakes and controlling the bike. He's going to have a hard time doing that with the passenger pushing him onto the tank. I can't see how they would interfere with the thighs unless she has a big ***.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

Yeah That ^^^^ ;-)

Old 12-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I have to do a quick stop, my wife applies pressure to the foot pegs and wraps her arms back around the backrest...keeps her off my back when really on the brakes. Of course this is non negotiable if riding with a tourpack.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain

Just ordered the HD grab rails. Wife initially against changing where she is holding on. I might have to get an upholsterer to manufacture a strap that is worthy. I'll probably end up putting a piece of metal shipping strapping inside of a leather strap that looks like the stock strap.

I'll report back.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Tell the old lady to relax. Grab rails and the strap are truly just a false sense of security. The more miles the old lady gets the more relaxed she will become. Over time the grab rails and the strap wind up on a shelf in the garage.

Quick Reply: Passenger Hand Rail