Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold feet on a Mustang seat mod...help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cold feet on a Mustang seat mod...help

I have a Mustang vintage solo and have been happy with it for 30,000 miles. Now that rest of the bike that will effect riding position is set, e.g., apes, shocks, etc., I would like to really dial it in by going an inch down and about half inch back. Confident that Mean City will do a good job. My question is how much might I lose in seat comfort. I assume there is going to be less soft stuff under me to go an inch down. Anyone done a similar minor modification to a Mustang? Notice any real difference on the long hauls? Much thanks! Benny

Old 12-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I modified my Mustang vintage solo just as you described and maybe a little more down plus narrowed it some. I had it on a 2010 Street Glide I noticed no difference on the long haul .I made my modifications because I'm kinda short.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your worried about comfort after getting lower in the saddle, have them install memory foam. I had my sundowner cut down as far as they could go to get me more "in the saddle" and installed memory foam. I do 500-600 mile days when going out of state and it is nice and comfy.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find firmer seats more comfortable. Mustangs as delivered have a soft foam. It will probably be better.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:17 AM
toad6301
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have them do memory foam or double memory foam for that matter.
I had double done with heater and reshaped and LOVE it on my solo.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I would suggest you call MCC and ask them to get an accurate answer.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 AM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Memory foam mod, with improved shaping of the seat area, will make a huge difference on the positive side.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I had MCC modify my Mustang Supertouring pretty much as you describe. My goal was to firm it up and make it a bit flatter. I felt the softer foam got a little "pinchy" after 300-400 miles in the saddle. Like another said, I prefer a very firm seat. I also use an Alaskan Sheepskin or Airhawk so I wanted it to be a bit lower to accommodate for those. I had MCC shave it down and add memory foam. Overall it's about an inch lower than it was. Living in a cool climate, I found that the memory foam is like a nice cold piece of Granite at 1st. After awhile it softens up. I just did it, so I don't know how it will be in the summer, but my guess is it will be more pliable right off the bat instead of having to soften from body heat.

Anyway, we took a ride down to North Carolina in November. I used my usual combination of Airhawk and sheepskin, alternating at gas stops. By the end of the trip I was just using the sheepskin. That combination was very very good. Overall I am extremely pleased with the modification and comfort improvement. The seat looks great too. They do amazing work.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM
BlackGROOVE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im currently shaving my seat down for the same exact reason. At first i was very nervous and these seats are not cheap. I thought maybe i should just buy another seat but its hard to get the right seat, so i thought i would just try it out. I thought of MCC but i am very picky and i usually do everything myself anyhow. I figured if i really screw it up i could just order another and just be happy with it. I found a website with nice information on it. Im just taking it slow, shaving some, then trying it and finding the areas that still need work. being its winter, i figured i have enough time to work on it. Maybe this website will help. Im sure anyone can do it if they just take their time and use the right tools. Ofcourse after cutting it down soo much now the leather doesnt fit, no big deal i will just have a shop recover it for me. To me it still feels the same comfort after shaving it down soo much now. Hope this helps. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Have a local upholstery shop do it it's not rocket science, that way if it needs tweaking you don't need a F@@ing appt and waiting 2 weeks round trip to and from. Hell I added a gel pack to my old sport bike seat and it worked out perfectly.
If you need practice, use your oem seat, you'll be surprises how easy it is.

Quick Reply: Cold feet on a Mustang seat mod...help