Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand canyon bike friendly hotels??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:57 PM
EE_Bean_Goh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand canyon bike friendly hotels??

Anyone have suggestions of a bike friendly hotel on the way to the Grand Canyon? Will be riding with a small group from California to Phoenix with a overnighter at the Grand Canyon. I've heard that some hotels will let you park over night under the awning closest to the check in counter where its well lit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Tusayan Best Western.

HOG discount

bowling alley in basement

most rooms have parking right outside the door ( in this type scenario...don't leave your key fob on the table just inside the door)

clean, cheapish and probably the best food in town...the "cowboy cook-out" places are tourist traps and suck mightily....there is also a dennys in town.

from there backtrack South to Williams, West a bit to Ash Fork and then through Chino Valley to Prescott, then continue on 89 to Wickenberg ...then into PHX.

or

if your route takes you leaving Tusayan and riding the South Rim, you'll come out by Cameron, North of Flagstaff.
Run down thru Flagstaff and I17 is the fast way to PHX.
Better, take 89A down oak creek canyon to Sedona.
you can stay on 89a through cottonwood and jerome...prescott etc.

or from any of those town run East and pick up i17.

all depends on what you do and how long a day you want to make of it.

AZ has some wonderful riding in the North part of the State ( there is a nice piece of Route 66 runs from Kingman to Seligman), lots of piney woods and twisties.

be aware of climate- Flag is at 7000 feet so usually 20º cooler than PHX.
Stay hydrated!

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-15-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the Grand Canyon trip a few years ago. Mapped out my route and went to one of the cheap hotels website and reserved rooms along the route did about 400 miles a day. All the rooms were nice. I wasn't a HOG member at the time. Once at the Canyon stayed at the Maswik Lodge in the park. They were sold out, but I was able to get reservations through one the Helicopter Tour companies. Wasn't required to take the tour. Great to stay at the Rim if you want to really explore. It snowed when I went in April.
Rode small highways, back roads, took my time (except the 90, 100 mph sweepers through the Vermilion Cliffs area), long scenic route. A great adventure and ride. If you want, I can PM you the route I took.

Last edited by DanDman; 01-16-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 AM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated above in recommendation to route, a big time 2nd to hitting 89a through Sedona and Jerome north or south route . Awesome ride.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:54 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Along 89 north of Flagstaff is Wutpatki National Monument -- a very good stop along the way -- as there are old Indian dwellings to walk through

Old 01-16-2015, 04:01 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed to thread, we are doin this ride this summer also. Lookin for info from folks that been there done that.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:21 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll be watching this thread as well because I'll be heading to Phoenix in early March and was planning rent a Harley for a couple days. Hope the weather is good for it that time of year...

Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We drove from Las Vegas to Phoenix last August and stayed at the North Rim. Several bikes there as well. We stayed 2 nights, so we had a whole day to see the sights. Wouldn't be the quickest route, but the sights are quite spectacular!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

If you are going to go through the North Rim there is a town in Utah not far called Kanab (spelling may not be right). There are a couple motels there I stayed at the Best western and your bike is right in front of your room. The ride into the North Rim from there is awesome and then you backtrack and go down through the Vermilion Cliffs I loves that part of the ride,that takes you out and into Flagstaff.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice to have this imfo, makes this site a must, tnx HD forums

Quick Reply: Grand canyon bike friendly hotels??