Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on Grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 PM
gghostrrider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Input on Grips

I realize grips are a matter of personal preference but I'm a fairly new Harley rider (RKC) and I'd like to get seasoned rider input on what brands/things you like and don't like so maybe it will help me know what to look for. I'm looking at Avon soft gel, and I like the look of the HD vintage white ones, I've also considered heated ones but the reviews I've seen seem mixed and being in Atlanta I shouldn't really need them.I'm primarily looking for comfort and accurate feel for throttle control, but looks are fairly important also. I had Kuryakkun ISO grips on my Yamaha before this bike but they felt cheap and inaccurate.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I ran ISO grips on my FXST before I traded it for the street glide. I liked them but am absolutely in love with the heated grips on my FLHX. When I do the bars I will probably go to the HD vintage heated grips. I like how they feel in the hand and the minimalist look. Don't know why I never had headed grips before, but they are a definite must after riding with them.

RE

Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 AM
gghostrrider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what I'm doing, going to get bars done soon and needed to get feed back for the grips.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Call me crazy but I really like the feel of the stock grips. Just the right amount of stickiness and they fit my hands perfectly. I have a 10 Ultra Limited and love the heated grips.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Avon is literally 5 mins away from me.. I can go there and try every grip before I buy them

Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I've gt the ISO's, But would prefer the Avon's for the grip texture. Both have air pockets to absorb vibration.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the HD Streamliner heated grips. They are comfortable and look great. For the few extra dollars, I would definitely recommend the heated grips. Even if it gets down to only 50° they make a huge difference.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 AM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get any grips you want and go with Heat Demons for grip heat. I've put those on all three bikes of mine and many friends bikes as well. They wire internally and have a great interface.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 14 SG. Are the HD heated grips bigger or have more radius to them? I must have carpel tunnel so something cause after a long ride with the stock grips the back sides of my hands start to cramp and ache then go numb. They seem to small in diameter in stock form. My ISO grips on my old bike are bigger in diameter and i didnt have the issues.

Thank you

Batman

Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I have carpal tunnel and arthritis...

Turns out the best grips for me are the stock HD grips- so i win.

other grips ( like on rented or borrowed bikes can cause me real problems.

some riders had trouble with the krapkin grips awhile ago on the TBW bikes...the inner gear teeth were breaking causing loss of throttle control.

batman, carpal tunnel usually results in numb fingers..not so much the backs of the hands.
when we sleep our wrists tend to curl, this collapses the carpal tunnel onto the nerves- wearing wrist splints/ braces to keep the wrists straight at night can keep you from requiring surgery.

I have fended off surgery for over 10 years by using braces when I need and also changed up some work habits and methods-

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-23-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Input on Grips