Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 week old 2015 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Beerlover2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 week old 2015 Ultra Limited

I purchased my 1st Harley in 2013. I bought a brand new Deluxe which is my favorite because of the old school look. It took me years to convince my wife to let me buy it. Once I did I started taking her for rides and then it got to the point where she was just so disappointed if I went on a ride and did not take her. Every weekend we would go on longer and longer rides getting up at 5:30am and just take off. We have been having so much fun that she started saying she would like to do some cross country travel.
So while in our local Harley dealership which we stopped in to buy her some new boots, I showed her the Ultra Limited and told her that this was the kind of bike we needed for cross country trips. She sat on the back of the back and said ‘Buy It’! The salesman was floored because usually it is the guy trying to convince the wife they need to buy it and I was the one not ready to jump. To make a long story short, I told her I wanted to check out all the touring bikes before I made a decision. I test drove the BMW GTL 1600 which might be the fastest best handling bike in terms of reviews, but I hated it! It is just not for me. I felt like it was a bike I might lay down. I then test drove the Indian Roadmaster and loved it! Great bike and to me very good looking. The problem with the Indian to me was that they are still setting up dealers, the dealers don’t get many bikes and they would not discount a penny and I refuse to pay MSRP since I have no idea on the resale of these bikes, and I finally decided that if they are still around in 3-5 years maybe then I might consider. I then test road the Honda Goldwing. Great bike and I get why it gets so much attention. It was smooth and responsive, but it bored me. Just not a bike I could get excited about and that is why I ride!
Believe it or not the Ultra Limited was the last bike I test drove. Compared to my softail, I was not used to the vibration at stand still, but once I rolled on the throttle it felt like I was riding an electric bike, just so smooth and the handling blew me away. How could this 900lb bike handle better than my softail? The comfort, storage, price and sound system sold me on the Ulta! I never thought I would own a bike with all the storage because it looked ‘old geezer’ to me! Well I get it now. Now just planning a vacation to load this baby up and get lost somewhere exciting! I have been married to my wife for 36 years and riding is the second most fun thing we do!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Good for you, a well educated, well thought about and researched plan payed off. Congratulations on the purchase and great OL. Keep her around for another 36 years plus. Shes a keeper for sure.

Batman

Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. You won't be disappointed (unless you get disappointed in the little things).

Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

quote:

...I was not used to the vibration at stand still, but once I rolled on the throttle it felt like I was riding an electric bike...
How could this 900lb bike handle better than my softail?

the rubber mount drivetrain will bob and weave at idle-and smooth out as you notice.
when at a stop, try to use the rear brake to hold position- applying the front will transfer vibrations into the chassis.

the touring front end is "backwards" the forks are behind the frame neck- this combined with the rake and trail makes for good low speed handling.

the batwing fairing takes a little getting used to, wind gusts transfer to "steering input" as the fairing is attached to the forks...it'll also contribute to a light front end at high speeds.

...get lost somewhere exciting!...

our own 4 corners area is awesome- Monument Valley, Mexican Hat, Durango etc. are all in easy reach

local website cyclerides.com has a great "dayride" section with day and multi day rides from PHX out into the world

enjoy

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerlover2
.... I have been married to my wife for 36 years ..!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

That's great....36 years! And she loves to ride!!! Congrats on the new Limited and I thought I researched diligently. I'm doing the same thing on a tuner now for mine. Smart call on the bike and no doubt you will enjoy the heck out of it!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Got my first Gezzer Glide at 27! Enjoy!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

That sounds like the essence of bike riding - two people and bike in harmony! Great story and many happy miles for both of you.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:09 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerlover2
I purchased my 1st Harley in 2013. I bought a brand new Deluxe which is my favorite because of the old school look. It took me years to convince my wife to let me buy it. Once I did I started taking her for rides and then it got to the point where she was just so disappointed if I went on a ride and did not take her. Every weekend we would go on longer and longer rides getting up at 5:30am and just take off. We have been having so much fun that she started saying she would like to do some cross country travel.
So while in our local Harley dealership which we stopped in to buy her some new boots, I showed her the Ultra Limited and told her that this was the kind of bike we needed for cross country trips. She sat on the back of the back and said ‘Buy It’! The salesman was floored because usually it is the guy trying to convince the wife they need to buy it and I was the one not ready to jump. To make a long story short, I told her I wanted to check out all the touring bikes before I made a decision. I test drove the BMW GTL 1600 which might be the fastest best handling bike in terms of reviews, but I hated it! It is just not for me. I felt like it was a bike I might lay down. I then test drove the Indian Roadmaster and loved it! Great bike and to me very good looking. The problem with the Indian to me was that they are still setting up dealers, the dealers don’t get many bikes and they would not discount a penny and I refuse to pay MSRP since I have no idea on the resale of these bikes, and I finally decided that if they are still around in 3-5 years maybe then I might consider. I then test road the Honda Goldwing. Great bike and I get why it gets so much attention. It was smooth and responsive, but it bored me. Just not a bike I could get excited about and that is why I ride!
Believe it or not the Ultra Limited was the last bike I test drove. Compared to my softail, I was not used to the vibration at stand still, but once I rolled on the throttle it felt like I was riding an electric bike, just so smooth and the handling blew me away. How could this 900lb bike handle better than my softail? The comfort, storage, price and sound system sold me on the Ulta! I never thought I would own a bike with all the storage because it looked ‘old geezer’ to me! Well I get it now. Now just planning a vacation to load this baby up and get lost somewhere exciting! I have been married to my wife for 36 years and riding is the second most fun thing we do!!!
Great for you, you'll love the bike. It started out with my wife 2 up and several months later, her own 14 Road King.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

+1 on enjoying riding with the wife. 31 years for me and she is loving the riding more and more. Congrats on the new ride

Quick Reply: 2 week old 2015 Ultra Limited