Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwire to Accessory Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Rudy046
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardwire to Accessory Switch

Hi, Gang
I have a 2013 FLHR and would like to hard wire an iPhone5 charger (the cell will be mounted on the handlebars) to the Accessory Switch on the nacelle. Does anyone have a link or directions (or advice) for accessing the switch wires and connecting to the switch?
Thank you in advance,
Rudy

Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

how about you wire into the unused position light wiring ?

this is "on" when the bike is "on"

the wires are attached to the headlight wire loom...orange/wht is hot, black is ground.

the acc switch is wired to the acc plug which is under the seat...so if you want something on your bars, you'll be running wires up under the tank

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Here are the instructions for the power outlet attached to the accessory switch. You can also get a dual one as well. I would go with the advice above if you wanted it permanent and then you wont have to flip the acc switch on and off.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J06026.PDF

Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 996 Likes on 592 Posts

Or you could get one of these and use your existing accessory harness.... if you're not already using it....

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/weat...rt-for-harley/

Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
how about you wire into the unused position light wiring ?

this is "on" when the bike is "on"

the wires are attached to the headlight wire loom...orange/wht is hot, black is ground.

the acc switch is wired to the acc plug which is under the seat

Mike
+1!! This is the way to go. Look coming off the back of your headlight for the wires....

Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

You don't have to hard wire anything. I use this on my '13 King https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php . It's the 4-pin connector for the Harley and it's waterproof. It plugs into the accessory connector under the seat. I ran mine along the main harness to the bars under the bar clamp cover.

Then I use this USB plug to power and charge my Garmin GPS. I use the iPhone USB plug to charge my iPhone. https://www.3brpowersports.com/produ...d_Band_USB.php

Everything is all plug-n-play.

Added: Looks like Leader MC now sells this from the link by SWThomas above, but 3BR Powersports makes them.

Last edited by RKZen; 01-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Rudy046
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Or you could get one of these and use your existing accessory harness.... if you're not already using it....

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/weat...rt-for-harley/
I don't know if you have an iphone5 or newer, but the way they program the operating systems really gets you by the short hairs! There aren't any after-market charging systems/wires that are compatible with apple products anymore (you can plug the wire in, but the phone will sense that the wire is after-market and will not allow the phone to charge). Apple has become as much of an tyrannical empire as Microsoft (if not more).

I would need to run an iPhone lightning cable with lighter adapter directly to the accessory outlet. So I guess I have the answer to my question. Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. Now I just need to decide upon speakers. J&M Handlebar Mounted?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy046
(you can plug the wire in, but the phone will sense that the wire is after-market and will not allow the phone to charge). Apple has become as much of an tyrannical empire as Microsoft (if not more).

Not sure where you got that info from but it's not 100% accurate. I have a bunch of lighting cables that aren't apple and they charge my phone just fine. Some of the cheaper ones won't allow sync or music to be played over them but they will charge the phone.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:03 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 996 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy046
I don't know if you have an iphone5 or newer, but the way they program the operating systems really gets you by the short hairs! There aren't any after-market charging systems/wires that are compatible with apple products anymore (you can plug the wire in, but the phone will sense that the wire is after-market and will not allow the phone to charge). Apple has become as much of an tyrannical empire as Microsoft (if not more).

I would need to run an iPhone lightning cable with lighter adapter directly to the accessory outlet. So I guess I have the answer to my question. Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. Now I just need to decide upon speakers. J&M Handlebar Mounted?
Uh... someone lied to you. My wife and I both use aftermarket chargers in our cars for our iPhone 6 phones. They work just fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Quick Reply: Hardwire to Accessory Switch