Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my stupid is as stupid does moment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 55 Posts
Default my stupid is as stupid does moment

so... rode my bike from MD to Key West and back last October. Every time I would get on it the check engine light would come on. Bike seemed to be running OK, good oil pressure, good power, good fuel economy, etc so I didn't worry about it too much. Last time I rode was new years day, same thing happened. I finally got around to pulling the code for the error last weekend, 'front cylinder no combustion'. I figured maybe bad/marginal spark plug so I picked up a new set of plugs. went to change the front one, and the plug wire was not snapped down onto the plug terminal... DUH. was down enough I guess it made enough contact so the bike wasn't running rough but probably a very weak spark. changed the plugs anyway but too much snow/ice to road test it to see if it is really fixed but pretty sure that was the culprit...

enough true confessions, I now return you to your regularly scheduled posts...

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

the real question here is who was the last person to connect that plug wire ?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

1.) hope your new plugs are stock spec or you may create other problems with the ion sense.

b.) and anti-seize paste on the threads

2.) years ago, I had all kinds of problems with "awesome performance" wires pushing themselves up off the plugs ( bike and cars) accel yellow wires seemed the worst and the clips just seemed to not have enough spring to them to stay connected to the plugs...

Mike

Old 01-28-2015, 11:26 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 55 Posts

haha last person to work on the bike was me... I rerouted the front wire to hide it better, so I definitely can't blame anyone but me... Just before the trip tho I had converted all my lights (even headlights) to LEDs and I was sure it was something related to that...

new screamin eagle plugs same as I have run for last 50k miles so they'll be ok... antiseize always on plug threads. and this time I used a dab of dielectric grease on the plug terminal and felt it snap into place so all is well... aftermarket taylor 10mm wires but never been an issue before, I am sure this little snafu was caused by my error... o well just glad it was something simple...

Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

I had a similar problem with my first performance car, bought new. It was only a few weeks old and when giving it it's head one day it started stuttering and coughing. With only a couple of hundred ever made my heart was in my mouth as I backed off, fearing the worst. Loose plug-cap - what a relief!

Deep breath - calm thoughts......

Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
1.) hope your new plugs are stock spec or you may create other problems with the ion sense.

b.) and anti-seize paste on the threads

2.) years ago, I had all kinds of problems with "awesome performance" wires pushing themselves up off the plugs ( bike and cars) accel yellow wires seemed the worst and the clips just seemed to not have enough spring to them to stay connected to the plugs...

Mike
I remember yellow accel wires. A "had to have" thing. What a POS they were.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveh326
...Bike seemed to be running OK, good oil pressure, good power, good fuel economy, etc so I didn't worry about it too much.... 'front cylinder no combustion'.
That amazes me... running OK, good power and no front cylinder combustion. Bet it will feel like a whole new bike now. Nice, inexpensive upgrade!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
haha last person to work on the bike was me... I rerouted the front wire to hide it better, so I definitely can't blame anyone but me...
all we can do is try to learn from our stupid mistakes , at least this one didn't cost you much to fix

Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Love the notion; That light doesn't mean anything...

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Love the notion; That light doesn't mean anything...
Thats funny

Quick Reply: my stupid is as stupid does moment