Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 PM
mofo190
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Brake Light Problem

Ok so I have a little problem and my brake light won't work when I hit the front or rear brake. I checked the bulb and its good so idk what could have happened. only thing that comes to mind is I switched out my black switch caps for chrome ones. Any feedback would help. (05 road king)

Thanks

Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 PM
afverhaag
3rd Gear

I start with your fuses and check make sure you did not pinch a wire when you put control halfs back together. Done that one.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:05 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

your model has the wiring for the taillight running on teh under side of the fender.

a lowered bike bottoming out, or road debris picked up by teh tire can eat this wire.

usually resulting in a blowed fuse.

so check fuses first

if then the light is working, shake and bounce the bike and ensure that it won;t happen again.

have another look at your bulb- non "vibration resistant" bulbs can have problems surviving teh shaking...the filaments can drop onto each other.
if BOTH filaments are lit, that could be the problem or the brake light switch is busted.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-03-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:29 PM
mofo190
Advanced

appreciate the help guys, I'll look into it

Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by mofo190
Ok so I have a little problem and my brake light won't work when I hit the front or rear brake. I checked the bulb and its good so idk what could have happened. only thing that comes to mind is I switched out my black switch caps for chrome ones. Any feedback would help. (05 road king)

Thanks
On older bikes there was a common problem:
Any possibility that the hand brake lever was removed and the switch tip in the lever is in misalignment or damaged.
The tail light would then be in full bright / brake mode as opposed to running mode all the time.
This would look like the problem was with the light instead of the actual problem which would be the switch activation.
Rather easy to notice since BOTH filaments would be ON at all times.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well If you have a meter check to see as previously poiinted out that that you brake lights may be already on, pull a bulb and check both to see. If you are then you prob got the front brake sw missaligned. If you dont have voltage at both filiments work your way back to the handelbars. You might check to see if you have voltage on the hot side of the fuse if the fuse is good.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's none of the above, replace the brake light switch. Mine did the same thing where the brake light was always on and my cruise would not engage(because it thought the brake was on).

Old 02-01-2015, 10:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by mofo190
only thing that comes to mind is I switched out my black switch caps for chrome ones. Any feedback would help. (05 road king)

Thanks
Brake lever/switch interface is the issue here.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I did the same thing just a few weeks ago, except my brake was fine, the running lights wouldn't work.. Checked everything I could think of and then checked the bulb again, ONE of the filaments was damaged and I missed it the first time. I even tore apart my breakers and relays to locate the issue before I checked the bulb again... Sigh..

Old 02-03-2015, 05:19 PM
mofo190
Advanced

yea i think its the brake lever/switch interface. I think its missed aligned. Probably didnt put it on correct when switching out the switches. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Road King Brake Light Problem