Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another thred about XM...this one is different

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Bruin08
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another thred about XM...this one is different

I see everybody talking about using the HK XM Module and the portable one.

I am looking at using the XM Marine setup. Anybody have experience with this setup. I don't want to use the HK XM Module because I don't feel like paying for another subscription and I like the fact that my portable one has song/artist alert. With the marine one, I can just use my portable one and plug it into my marine setup on the bike, only pay one subscription and have the song/artist alert.

This is the case:
http://www.myradiostore.com/ProTechT...ME-KIT001.aspx

This is the antenna:
Amazon.com : Audiovox XMARINE Marine Mount Antenna : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Audiovox XMARINE Marine Mount Antenna : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics

I am a worried a little about the antenna because of the one that is pictured in the first link I posted. The link for the antenna does say flush mount so I am assuming it is like the hockey puck one that comes with the regular XM radios.

The other thing that I don't like is the fact that the case is white. This is fine and dandy on a boat because most boats are white and it blends in nicely. I was going to check with my painter and see if he would be able to paint the case glossy black to match the fairing without it chipping and painting.

Anybody have experience with this?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Bruin08
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So something just slapped me in the back of my head and made me think. I don't have to use a marine antenna due to being outside in the elements because the standard car antennas get installed outside of the vehicle and are exposed to the elements.

Now I just need to see if a standard car antenna can hook up to the marine case because I would need to use the marine case to protect the radio from rain.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:15 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The antenna's look the same except for the cable.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this out - I'll probably order this. http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/xm...na_SRMT45.aspx

Old 02-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

What kind of bike are you going on? I used my portable and just used a stock vehicle antenna. I 3m command taped it to the fairing, behind the windshield next to the vent on my 14 Limited. Works great

Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I was an early adopter---this pic is from 2002 I think, a std car dephi set up...modified the mount for the cradle with 2 clamps on the bar.

not much rain- a ziplock and rubber band if I needed:

antenna- this worked perfectly even with a soft bag on the rack- I had reception problems when i tried mounted under the fairing...I used velcro to mount:

I used a delphi fm modulator mounted on the left fork leg where I coul dreach the freq select switch while riding if needed.

This can be easy and cheap.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a road king so I need one that mounts on the handle bar. I used the flat magnetic one on my gas tank and now I have to get the scratches buffed out. My stereo amp blew a channel so new shark power amp is on the way - 1400 watts peak on a 4.1. The XM radio I have and the pouch for it are obsolete because the new Garmin GPS Zumo 665 has a built in XM radio so yay on that but $770 Cdn is a bit pricey - ouch - but it will go on the handlebar as well and I have 16" chubby apes.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Mounted my antenna under the fairing on the radio magnetically. Works fine

Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Paul Brown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xm radio

I have a 2012 ultra. I mounted then portable xm device inside my touring pack. Works great. I also used the car antenna mounted on top of pack. I don't change the station so this works great for me. I used the fm transmitter so stay on one channel on main bike unit.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Paul Brown
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 ultra. I mounted then portable xm device inside my touring pack. Works great. I also used the car antenna mounted on top of pack. I don't change the station so this works great for me. I used the fm transmitter so stay on one channel on main bike unit.

Quick Reply: Another thred about XM...this one is different