Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob precaution

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key Fob precaution

Hello all, I have gone to two different HD stores and ask about this question and have different answers.
My question was: If I leave the key fob next to my bike, does it help to preserve the bikes battery?

My bike is in a very secure place and nothing to worry about getting it stolen. My biggest worry is the bikes battery from being drained by its factory built security system.

Anyone are welcome to chime in.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

when you turn on the bike ( a change in the electrical state) or it senses a shock ...the alarm sends out looking for the fob.

if the fob is not present or not recognized, the lights flash and the siren ( if applicable) sounds.

if you are in an earthquake zone and worry about the alarm going off constantly....put the alarm in transport mode.

Mike

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

There is more than the security system making small constant draws on the battery. Best bet is to put a maintainer on the battery or disconnect it/pull the big fuse. Batteries have a constant rate of self discharge even if they are disconnected from everything, so even that will not guaranty a quick start after long storage.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

If your bike is parked and not moved, it really doesn't make any difference if the FOB is with it or not.

The factory alarm "arms" itself about 5 seconds after shutting the bike off.
You will see the little red light blinking in the speedometer.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:07 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,075 Posts

My answer is it will not help preserve the battery. Once the ignition is turned off, the security will arm automatically, whether or not the fob is in range, as noticed by the turn signals blinking a couple times and the red security light blinking constantly. The security will disarm when the ignition is turned on (or to ACC) and the fob is in range.

Ooops, RollaMo beat me to it.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:12 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
If your bike is parked and not moved, it really doesn't make any difference if the FOB is with it or not.
Originally Posted by RKZen
My answer is it will not help preserve the battery..
I concur with these gentlemen.

Best way to preserve the battery is to ride it.... and put it on a tender when it is going to be parked for an extended period of time.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM
bsritch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you read the owners Manuel it tells you to put a battery maintainer if you don't plan on riding within 2 weeks. When I bought my street glide last year the tech told me the same thing. But make sure the tender maintains less than 800 ma. Or it could over charge the battery..the alarm does put a drain on the battery.
I don't think keeping fob near will stop the alarm from draining the battery because the alarm sets within about 15 sec of turning the key off, the signal lights flash 2 times.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 PM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

I can't specifically answer your question, however for each of the last 3 years I have taken a month long vacation. Bike in storage shed, no battery tender. Key fob in bedroom. Upon return bike started no problem.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Really? Put it on a battery tender. It will extend the life of your battery, and save some aggravation.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

Use a tender. Rule of thumb however is to never use a tender capable of supply more than 10 percent of the battery's total current. i.e. A 10 amp battery should be float charged with no more than a 1 amp charger. This prevents overcharging and stressing the battery. A float charge is a charge that maintains the battery in a topped up condition. Your Fob on the other hand is continuously drawing current in short pulses whether near your bike or not. You should change fob batteries yearly to avoid surprises.

Quick Reply: Key Fob precaution