Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling Screwed on ESP Contract .. opinions ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Pdraper1975
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Feeling Screwed on ESP Contract .. opinions ?

Just wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else, ...ok so on 10/12/2014 I went to the dealer and got a "used" 2013 FLHTK with 2500 miles... I was offered an ESP for 3 years for the price of 2014.00 ... I agreed and had it financed into my loan .... on my ESP contract it states In Section 1 -In-Service date of 10/12/2014 ... Expiration date 10/12/2017 .. so looking it over briefly I see 2014-2017 yep thats 3 years ... cool no problem
Now down to the section it states "your covered term" the box is checked 3 years/unlimited miles ... under that there is the *** Coverage Term is measured from the ESP Sale Date .. back to section 1 ... ESP Sale Date 10/12/2014 (day i got it )
So a month later I get a letter from the service center stating there is a correction .... Effective Date 4/7/2013 ... expires 4/17/2016 ... thats 18 months before the contract says its supposed to expire .....
I went to the dealer and asked whats up and this is what they told me ....

The sales guy was new and messed up and should of told you that you still had 6 months factory warranty left and the that over rides the ESP ...
and what the ESP does is covers 3 years from original sales date of 4/2013 ( when it was sold to the original owner) .......

Now why am I paying for 18 months of coverage when I never even owned the bike ... He told me for 700 he can extend it another year .... until 4/2017 (keep in mind thats still 6 months short of what I was told I already purchased) or I can get a partial refund on the contract and be out of warranty in 6 days .... I am pretty hot right now and think im getting the shaft ...... what to do ???

Bought Bike & 3 year esp 10/2014
contract states expires 10/2017
Harley Correction letter states 4/2013 - 4/2016 3 year from date of original purchase

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser

It sure sounds to me like you're getting the shaft. I'm not familiar with how the extended service plans work, but I always thought it was kind of like an extension of the warranty. 3 year ESP would extend coverage an additional 3 years after the factory warranty runs out. It sounds like that was what you thought you were buying as well.
If they don't stand by the original terms that you agreed upon and signed, I would think you have grounds to get all the money back that you paid for the ESP. It is a contract after all.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Extended Coverage

I don't know what relationship you have with the dealer: I would have tried to talk to the dealer, and ask for him to cover the employee's error.
Failing that, you have the option of a) seeing a lawyer, or b) getting out of it.
Before you make a decision, why not call up Jim Palmer at Kutter HD and find out what kind of secondary policy he can get for you?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I can see why you felt your being screwed. You are. That's why I don't like the ESP's, a 4 year is 2 years factory warranty and 2 years extended ect ect. It sounds like your paying for four extra years but your actually paying for two. In your case you paid over 2 grand for basically 18 months of extended coverage. I would cancel, get all my money back and put that 2 grand in a savings account for any unforeseen issues. If you don't have any problems you still have your 2K at the end.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

Yeah, I'd say you're getting screwed. I think I'd either demand a full refund of the ESP or demand they honor their commitment and what your contract reads. If they do neither then I'd inform everyone about the dishonesty of this dealer. I think you would also have a legal case, but in reality it likely would cost you more in legal fees than the contract is worth.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:48 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

It seems clear to me that you have a contract and that one of two things need to happen.
1. The dealership refunds your full purchase price of the original warranty.
2. The dealership pays the $700 to extend the warranty.

You didn't do anything wrong and you have a signed contract. I would say that if they can't see the reason in that you might need a lawyer.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Default Esp

You have to be careful when they explain ESP it's misleading in my opinion. A 5 yr ESP is the 2 yr new bike HD warranty plus 3 yr ESP. I just bought a new 2015 FLHTK and added the 5 yr, (2+3esp) with tire and wheel for $1500. I think your salesman made a mistake, On the service contract form he should have checked the box for 5yr, the 2 yr HD + 3 yr ESP. the dates should be from 2013 to 2018.

I would take this up with the salesman in the sales managers office. If you don't get them to change it ask for you money back on the ESP and start calling other dealers to get their prices.
Good Luck

Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

$2,000 for 18 months of coverage? Sounds pretty sketchy to me... Anybody else know what these things are supposed to cost?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

If you were the original purchaser and bought the ESP while the bike was under warranty, then the corrected terms would be right. A 3 year ESP would provide 1 year coverage beyond factory warranty.

But you are not original owner. So you bought a 3 year warranty on a used vehicle.

There has got to be confusion somewhere prolly 'cause the bike was still under warranty.

I'd check the price point you paid for ESP. Used bikes beyond warranty pay a higher premium than bikes under factory warranty. Verify what you paid for.

In any case, I'd file in small claims court to get all your money back as the ESP was misrepresented on sales contract.

Last edited by LoneRiderFLH; 04-01-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Missing word
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer

In a nutshell, you did not receive the value of the product that you agreed to purchase and signed for. It was amended after the fact. Go sit in the business managers office and don't leave until you are satisfied. Get the dealer principle involved if necessary.

Quick Reply: Feeling Screwed on ESP Contract .. opinions ?