Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 for 2014 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 AM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stage 1 for 2014 Limited

Just picked up a nice 14 limited with rinehart slipons. The previous owner has stock air filter on it and the bike seems to run fine. I know about the cat in the head pipes, etc and not doing anything with that at this time... but wondering two things:
- would it really be worth to do a stage one upgrade or just leave stock filter on
- If so, Are they easy to change out and can I just run it as is without any ECM mods or taking it to the dealer, etc. Not interested in spending a bunch of $ for tuning, etc.
I'm not real mechanically inclinded but if it easy to do, I'm willing to go for it. Thanks for any input.
Darrell

Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dspencer
Just picked up a nice 14 limited with rinehart slipons. The previous owner has stock air filter on it and the bike seems to run fine. I know about the cat in the head pipes, etc and not doing anything with that at this time... but wondering two things:
- would it really be worth to do a stage one upgrade or just leave stock filter on
- If so, Are they easy to change out and can I just run it as is without any ECM mods or taking it to the dealer, etc. Not interested in spending a bunch of $ for tuning, etc.
I'm not real mechanically inclinded but if it easy to do, I'm willing to go for it. Thanks for any input.
Darrell
Man go the the Rushmore forums, just read the first 20 threads. There is a least 5 maybe more threads talking about your question. More info than you will ever need know, read it and learn it!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 AM
dspencer
Road Captain

Will do- thanks

Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you change out your air filter you will need to get a tuner of some kind. I would just say ride it and if you are happy then leave it alone. A good stage 1 setup will give you an increase in power and will help the bike run cooler but it's only worth it if you aren't happy with the current setup.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Before you waste your money on a stage 1 air cleaner read this thread. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...stage-one.html You wont gain anything by putting a stage 1 air cleaner on a Rushmore other than more noise. You will get a power increase by putting a tuner like the Vance & Hines FP3 on your bike and using a canned map and doing an auto tune. You can get them from Direct cycle parts for $299 with free shipping or Kutter HD for $310 and free shipping. That's only about $75 more than dealers charge for the stage 1 download with labor and tax. You can go to the apple or android app stores and download the FP3 app for free and play around with it in demo mode to see how easy it is to use and what it can do.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:27 PM
dspencer
Road Captain

Read some other posts in the Rushmore category..think I'll leave it alone for now and keep the $ in my pocket. I'm happy with it.
Hey GWaxley, picked up the 14 Limited at Cajun Harley on Friday.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Read some other posts in the Rushmore category..think I'll leave it alone for now and keep the $ in my pocket. I'm happy with it.
Hey GWaxley, picked up the 14 Limited at Cajun Harley on Friday.
Sweeet, Cajun is my home dealer also. I like them but there still HD pricing on parts and labor, i did get a pretty good deal initially..
The stage1 air filter is personal chose, iv said it before i like when guys leave there stock filter and cover on there bikes, seriously a good tuner makes a big difference even with stock bikes, i have a FP3 and after first installing and getting setup the bike ran smoother, quieter, cooler, noticeably more power and it just felt better and put a smile on my face..
yea if your going to do anything to enhance the riding experience get a tuner and some good shocks, not necessarily in that order..if i can help you just let me know... dspencer are you from this area, cajun is have a shindig this weekend it was rained out this past weekend

Last edited by Gwaxley; 04-27-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Darrell

Hey Darrell,

Congrats on your new bike!

I would say it is worth the upgrade but, everyone has their own opinion. I recommend routing externally with a free flowing Air Cleaner, like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v. These Air Cleaner's do not allow all of the hot, dry, oily air back in. The Air Cleaner will not be a difficult job to change out.

If the bike already has slip-ons and you are changing the Air Cleaner, you will need some type of Fuel Management.

We have had many reports of people being happy with the Xied Products. This is an excellent option for a budget solution and for a stock bike, a bike with free flowing air cleaner or exhaust, or a bike with both free flowing air cleaner and exhaust. It uses the base tune from Harley-Davidson, and adds some fuel into the areas that HD had to lean out for EPA reasons. The results are a much better running bike.

Hope this info helps you out and again congrats on the bike

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 04-27-2015, 03:44 PM
dspencer
Road Captain

Thanks for the input...and I'm in Lake Charles, La.