Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Ultra Classic 1st Gear Whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Josell
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2007 Ultra Classic 1st Gear Whine

Hello all,

So the first time I heard this 1st gear whine I took it back to my dealer. They said it was some sort of bearing or something like that. When I got the bike back the whine was gone and the shifting was much smoother. Fast forward a bit and the whine is back. After reading through this forum I read that using "REDLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR BIG TWINS" would supress the whine I tried it and it did quiet it down just a bit , but it's still there and I notice when shifting from 1st to second it's a bit hard.

I really need help from someone experienced in this type of situation. I have an appt to bring it back to the dealer again but they will charge me another $50 copay which I really can't afford.

Is the whine Normal? Should I bring it back in? Does it really have something to do with some sort of bearing.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!!!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

................ gear whine (clatter) was normal on the 2007 big twins. 1st and 5th utilized a spur cut gear set - reflected energy from the pulley was felt back as far as the comp. Something was req'd to dampen that energy when it hit the rear wheel - the band aid fix (for 2007) rides was a kit "Isolated Drive System". Below is the part number.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...m-sprocket-kit

Old 05-23-2015, 07:39 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

I've been on a few 07"s u have to really listen close to hear the straight cut 1st gear 5th is another story couldn't tel ya if its the straight cut gear or a bearing going bad. IDS will quiet things down but more at speed, it also smoothes out the shifts.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the best mod's I did on my 07 Ultra was adding the IDS. Absolutely eliminated the 1st and 5th gear noises.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 AM
digger58
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faulkner
One of the best mod's I did on my 07 Ultra was adding the IDS. Absolutely eliminated the 1st and 5th gear noises.

What is IDS?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by digger58
What is IDS?

American Iron had an excellent explanation a few years back. They described it as akin to someone whipping a rope tied to a post. The energy ripples down the tied rope and on arrival at the post is reflected back. Same-same with the rear pulley on 07 (probably all) transmissions. The energy at specific RPMs is so severe that it is propagated through the straight cut gear sets back to the comp - unloading it (bang, bang, bang). The IDS absorbs the reflected energy at the pulley preventing the reflection, eliminating the whine - more properly described as a clatter. MoCo determined that the problem is aesthetic - and does not compromise the transmission/ drive train in any way. Baker had a complete fix - their product swapped out the gear set for helical cut - why HD went to straight cut for 1st and 5th only remains a mystery but likely due to strength in mesh.

Last edited by Assegai; 05-24-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed a whine of sorts since the bike was new while in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in and coasting. The "whine speed" decreases with loss in forward speed.

Fifth gear noise is always there due to straight cut gears. Using different brands of transmission fluids does not seem to make a change to me. However, using a heavier viscosity like 75-140 does seem to dampen the fifth gear noise some.

Now, I have had my transmission fixed TWO separate times with ESP warranty-about two years apart. They banged me for $50 both times as they replaced the same bearings both times, and different parts the second time. The different parts is why they charged me for both deductibles. Both times the thing was making so much noise it was unbelievable how bad it was, it gets louder as it gets worse. You kind of adjust to the volume level, but, when you ride it after repairs, you are like...Damn, this is so much better now!

During the second repair, the mechanic noticed the splines on the clutch basket were junk. Quite possibly this went un-noticed the first time and the metal parts from the splines re-destroyed the bearings again. To my amazement they approved replacing the entire clutch assembly to include the complete clutch pack with fiber and steel plates!!! Couldn't believe they replaced it as the clutch plates wear items...

Three thousand miles later, all is quiet in Transmissionville !

Old 05-25-2015, 09:41 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Ive had an 07 and sold it with 55k miles on it and had a stage 4 103 putting out 124 hp, and NEVER had a whine issue. Now I have a 12 CVO 110 and it will whine when in first gear on a down shift, even if I hold the clutch in. Everyone I spoke with recommends getting the syn 3 out of the primary. But thats another story.
As far as IDS on an 07, I thought of that but the more I read about it, the more I saw there was major bearing failures related to it, so I scrapped that idea.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Ive had an 07 and sold it with 55k miles on it and had a stage 4 103 putting out 124 hp, and NEVER had a whine issue. Now I have a 12 CVO 110 and it will whine when in first gear on a down shift, even if I hold the clutch in. Everyone I spoke with recommends getting the syn 3 out of the primary. But thats another story.
As far as IDS on an 07, I thought of that but the more I read about it, the more I saw there was major bearing failures related to it, so I scrapped that idea.
I think the bearing failure stories are not attributed to the IDS. I believe 08 and on come standard with IDS.

Quick Reply: 2007 Ultra Classic 1st Gear Whine