Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio tech question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 PM
nthere1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio tech question

I installed a Rockford fosgate 300x2 with HD head unit and 6.5 Polk audio speakers. The left speaker has blown on me twice in two years or has a static noise coming from it with volume turned all the way down. I can't turn volume up, when I do the it it clicks no sound comes through. The head unit will stay on.

My question is it the amp bad or is the speaker wires crossed up( positive/ negative). When I installed the speakers, the factory wires on HD were opisite for conection per manual so I soldered new connections big and small to fit speakers.

I'm no electrical guru so easy on me thanks.

2011 SG

Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The polks in past years have been defective and failing for lots of folks. For that amp, try s set of Infinity Kappa 62.11i, set your gain at 5, HPF at 60.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

There's an audio section of the forum. Very informative guys over there.

When you say the factory wires were opposite as per the directions, are you talking about the wires going to the input of the amp, or to the speakers themselves? Reversing the output won't necessarily damage a speaker, it will just sound bad.

Are you running the output from the amp directly to your speakers? If not I would get some speaker wire, I'd use 12 awg, cut 2 sections equal length, go to an auto parts store and get the gold plated crimp on female spade connectors (O'Reilly's carries them in the wide, medium, and small) of the correct size, and crimp them on. Then run those from your output of amp directly to speakers.

If you switch the outputs does the noise follow the output or does it remain on the same speaker? (If you take the left output and put it to the right speaker and vice versa) If the noise (static and clicking) stays with the speaker, it's probably bad. If the noise (static and clicking) stays with the output, it could be the amp, or it could be the output of the factory radio. If this is the case, hook the speakers directly to the factory radio output. If it persists it's the radio. If it goes away it's the amp.

I'm not familiar with that particular amp. Does it have separate gain control for each output left and right? If it does, you need to try to match those. You should not have the gain control turned all the way up. With the radio turned up, you should turn the gain up till you hear distortion, then back it off about a quarter of the way or till it loses the distortion. Do one side first with the other side turned down. Then match the amount of turn of the gain control (screw or ****) on the other side.

Someone else will be along shortly to refute what I've told you. Ha ha ha!! This is the method I've used for 25 yrs to troubleshoot audio and set up my amps. Good luck.

Last edited by Buelligan666; 06-11-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

While hooking the wires from the amp to the speaker backwards won't blow the speaker, hooking the the wires from the head unit to the amp backwards may blow the amp. Polk did have some bad speakers for a while that would melt the coax magnets/mounts (mine have been fine for 3+ years). Troubleshoot by switching the wires to the speakers and to the amp to narrow down what is wrong. If ya are blowing speakers your gains may be set wrong? More in the audio section.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:59 PM
nthere1
Intermediate

The only problem I have had is left speaker only. I sent them back to Polk one cow and replaced them. I bought a pair of JL audio c2-650x 6.5 to get me to Daytona bike week. The focal blew day before going to Daytona. Now the left JL is smoked. I'm taking its the amp. Now I got one good focal and one good JL.

Guess I'll run both of the good ones. Is that a bad idea.

The gain was slightly above 5.

Where is the frq supposed to be at. Set at .50 and I'm assuming 100

And the switch. That reads lp ap hp. It's on ap.

Admin you can move to tech. I couldn't find it on my phone when I was posting. Sorry

Old 06-13-2015, 10:02 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Please change your aviator. that thing gives me a headache.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

You didn't say which Polks, are they DB's or MM's? The DB series is only rated at 60 watts and you can pop one behind that amp.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 AM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

i will answer with the static on ur speakers. it is maybe the ground wire isnt going straight to battery. or if you have the High level input from the amp with grounding wire , unplug it, dont ground it to radio or anything.
i have ss amp and the input wire came with 5 wire, 2 for each speakers and the fifth was for grounding, the manual asks to ground it , when i did it was giving the static in my speakers , took it off and static is gone.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by nthere1

The gain was slightly above 5.

Where is the frq supposed to be at. Set at .50 and I'm assuming 100

And the switch. That reads lp ap hp. It's on ap.
Setting your amp to AP (All Pass) is the culprit. At this point it doesn't matter where you set your Frequency Cutoff at because AP allows EVERY frequencies to pass. The low frequencies are what destroys speakers. The lower the note the longer it takes (in time) to move the speaker coil and cone. This sustained energy is what overheats the coil and/or throws the coil out and over the throat or sleeve that it sits in, thus destroying the speaker. Set your amp to HP (High Pass) and set your Frequency Cutoff no lower than 80 and all should be fine for your next set of speakers.
If you crave the deep bass then invest in a separate amp and subwoofer (a speaker designed to handle those low and long sustained notes) and all will be good. Just don't continue to drive your midrange speakers with out first knocking out all that subsonic (below 100 Hz) energy.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:57 PM
nthere1
Intermediate

The speaker was blown, tested it with a 9 volt battery.

The Polk speakers are DB

The ground is to the frame. Is that wrong, it's a good ground well to me it is thought the shorter the ground wire the better. ( thought I read that somewhere). Only one ground wire for power.

Set my amp to HP and frequency to 80.

With one Polk and one JL speaker ran it today, it's working now in search for speakers that can handle the amp.

Thanks for all the help, any good speakers that won't break me and I know everyone has their favorite.