Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender USB charger adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:38 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailManiac
One guy said if the phone is on, it can make the phone overheat. Anyone ever have that happen?
Depends on the charger. Fast chargers will heat up the phone battery a bit, so no getting around that. The Battery Tender unit is one of those and I think is rated at 2.1A. The phone will take longer to charge on lower output units, but won't heat up the battery. Also, using the phone will heat up the battery, so with charging and using the phone at the same time, yes it'll get a little warm.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by SoftailManiac
Hi guys. I am new to this sort of stuff. Never had any need to use something like this but just started dating a very nice girl that is completely lost without her phone. so I ordered one of these Battery Tender USB chargers for my bike. I know its plug and go, but I have a few questions that were not addressed in this thread. First, can her phone be turned on while charging? I watched a youtube video and at the bottom there are always comments to the video. One guy said if the phone is on, it can make the phone overheat. Anyone ever have that happen? Second, I am thinking about buying a Kyryakin Roadthunder Sound Bar for the bike. If this charges my cell phone can i use my cell to listen to music when riding if its plugged into this USB charger? I guess the question is: the sound bar is direct wired to the bike, will i have any problems running the sound Bar and my phone at the same time. Last thing i need is a dead battery. Thanks for any input on this, as i said, I never had any use for this sort of thing and would appreciate and help. Thanks. Ride safe guys!!

I run with my phone plugged in to the charger all this time while listening to music or for navigation in the truck and never had a single issue with heat. No the bike but that shouldn't matter in the least as long as the phone battery is healthy.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:42 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
When not in use, it probably pulls less than the security system on our bikes. It is not really a big deal...
^^^ This.
As long as it's not left for months at a time with the bike not started/running you shouldn't have any real issue.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Another thing to consider is the age of the phone. The newer the phone the more sophisticated the on board charger is going to be. My Galaxy S7 is designed to fast charge the battery quite quickly (2 hours or less from 0-100%) and has built in circuitry/software to minimize battery heat.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
I've been using this https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php as a USB power port for my Garmin and to charge my iPhone. It's the TAPP-HD and it's panel mountable. Nice feature is it's waterproof and plugs directly to the acc plug under the seat.
Both pictures in the link look like battery terminal connectors. Which one has the acc plug?

Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 PM
3rdEyeStreetGlider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and once I left it in and didn't connect my charger for a week and my battery was dead. If your bike is going to sit for more than a couple of days you will definitely need to unplug it.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:38 AM
SG09RIDER
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had two on my FLHX, one for phone and the other for the Garmin. The connectors were fused and went directly to the battery, didn't see one with the connector for the acc plug under the seat. I had my S3 phone on all the time with no overheating. There were times I would leave it plugged in at a stop, but they were unplugged if the bike was going to sit for a few days. Never had a problem.