Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The sound of almost silence

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:07 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

What are we learning? There is no right answer. We each have our own definition of the "right" sound for our bikes. I personally hate the stock sound. It's like a piece of farm machinery. But that's me. ive had bikes with drag pipes, custom exhaust, Hybrid systems. And I've been doing this a long time, and over time my desires have morphed and changed. Now I have the perfect sound for ME. But that would not satisfy everyone. We all have a "right" sound for where we are at a given time. No one is right or wrong here!

Last edited by dlpuette; 06-29-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:13 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
but you can't deny that it increases other's awareness of you!
In a book published in 2012, recognized safety expert David Hough reported, "Some riders claim that 'loud pipes save lives.' I don't know of any studies that support this claim. Certainly it was not mentioned in the Hurt, Olsen, or MAIDS studies." Hough went on "The basic problem is that noise is not a dependable source of information. It may grab people's attention, but can they immediately tell where it's coming from? Usually not." Mastering The Ride, D.L. Hough, at page 93.

I am not dissing anyone's exhaust system choice, but I am saying that there is no evidence that loud pipes enhance safety.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Want mufflers from an Ultra?? I have a set like new from a 2014 Ultra Limited. Pm me if interested. As for loud pipes and safety, only time I'd think they could help is someone is beside you in a lane to be aware you are there. As for them being in front of you, visibility is your friend not loud pipes.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
As for loud pipes and safety, only time I'd think they could help is someone is beside you in a lane to be aware you are there.
Isn't that good enough.

I am not a fan of loud pipes, but I do pay attention to sounds around me. Maybe because I also drive a convertible, but even loud tires alert me to traffic coming in my blind spot. Given a choice of loud pipes (loud anything) save lives or they don't, I'm going to have to say that in my experience, loud does save lives.

Beary

Old 07-01-2015, 08:14 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Great thread. Years ago, I put some louder pipes on my 77 Electra Glide and went on a long trip. Took them off when I got back because they were distracting me from the enjoyment of the ride. Then when I had the 02 Ultra, I did the stage I upgrade and put SE pipes on it too because I was unhappy with the power of the TC88. After a couple of weeks of riding, I took those off too.

My 07 is bone stock. I love the purr of the pipes as I roll down the highway, and the authoritative growl under a load, a light pop on deceleration. Walking around the bike at idle the pipes beckon to me to ride. They tell the world that what they're hearing is a Harley! But, it does it with elegance, and grace, not "in your face".

No doubt other riders have different needs than I do, but the stock pipes sing to me in beautiful melodic tones. Then, again, I don't care much for heavy metal music either.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Last edited by Norms 427; 07-02-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Y'all need to trade those Harleys in on some golf carts.

I have no desire to ride a Singer sewing machine. Maybe someday, but not yet.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I used to like loud pipes on my Harley, but on any trip longer than about an hour I found it to be tiring, distracting, and caused ringing in my ears.

Took cat out of pipe because G/F was complaining that pipe was causing her ankle to turn bright red and be painful.

Now like the stock slip ons, but with the cat gone they make just enough noise to drown out the valve train, but allow me to ride for hours without distraction and fatigue.

Used to believe that loud pipes save lives until I realized that while others could hear me, I could not hear any body else. I could not hear a quiet car in my blind spot, but with the quieter pipes I am now much more aware of other vehicles around me.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
I used to like loud pipes on my Harley, but on any trip longer than about an hour I found it to be tiring, distracting, and caused ringing in my ears.

Took cat out of pipe because G/F was complaining that pipe was causing her ankle to turn bright red and be painful.

Now like the stock slip ons, but with the cat gone they make just enough noise to drown out the valve train, but allow me to ride for hours without distraction and fatigue.

Used to believe that loud pipes save lives until I realized that while others could hear me, I could not hear any body else. I could not hear a quiet car in my blind spot, but with the quieter pipes I am now much more aware of other vehicles around me.
The stock mufflers with an open header pipe do have a good sound. The American Custom Exhaust modified stock mufflers give you a 5 minute option to change out their baffles and let you hair down from time to time.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:22 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
Interesting thread....I put SE Street Cannons on my RK soon after I bought it, and honestly even though they are street legal (measure of loudness) they are just too loud for me.....so I have been thinking of putting the stock ones back on. After reading through this thread, I think I'll do it to see how it works......
If you end up liking them I'll take the SE's off your hands if the price is reasonable.

Quick Reply: The sound of almost silence