Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The sound of almost silence

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.
On longer rides, I wear earplugs. Wind contributes too, you know.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

To each 's own, nothing like the sound of hundreds of Harley's rolling down the road to me, Music to my ears

Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
That's me! I want to be "noticed" by texting teens and soccer moms in their BIG SUVs with the family dog bouncing around inside! If they're so distracted that they can't see you, then they should at least be able to hear you! Loud pipes really DO save lives!

With modern cars and their incredible soundproofing this is a load of bullpoo and you all know it. I drive a 1998 buick and had a ambulance come up on me and I only heard it when it was within a few car lengths and I had no radio on.
You only scare them and offends some when you go blasting past them.

Admit it we just like the way the sound !!!

Last edited by bigheadted; 06-29-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 674 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted
With modern cars and their incredible soundproofing this is a load of bullpoo and you all know it. I drive a 1998 buick and had a ambulance come up on me and I only heard it when it was within a few car lengths and I had no radio on.

All the more reason to be LOUD! They can only soundproof glass so much. Maybe you should pay more attention when you're driving. I'll notice an ambulance with lights flashing 1/4 mile behind me and start to pull off the side of the road, with all the idiots behind me honking their horns, before I ever hear it.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:32 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
All the more reason to be LOUD! They can only soundproof glass so much. Maybe you should pay more attention when you're driving. I'll notice an ambulance with lights flashing 1/4 mile behind me and start to pull off the side of the road, with all the idiots behind me honking their horns, before I ever hear it.

WOW !! You must have X Ray vision !! I did not mention there was a little runt in a lifted F-250 behind me so I could not see the emergency vehicle until the runt pulled over.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:05 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

That is interesting because I find my B&Es easier on my ears for long highway rides. They came with the bike when I bought it, so I don't know much about them.

Beary

Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Maybe there should be a "Exchange" site for exhaust. People that want loud csn ask on the site what they want. And the eople that want their stock stuff back, csn ask for that. Then they can just trade.

Lol

Old 06-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,596 Likes on 3,080 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Maybe there should be a "Exchange" site for exhaust. People that want loud csn ask on the site what they want. And the eople that want their stock stuff back, csn ask for that. Then they can just trade.

Lol
I already buy my exhausts like I buy my motorcycles....Used. I run a system until I break it or get tired of it, sell it and buy something else.

Current purchase: Flat black 2010 2 into 1 stock header with a Nightstick / Supertrapp muffler. $177 delivered via EBay, and sold the too loud Patriot Defender on Craigs List for $100 (so I guess we do a little 'exchanging' out there already....)

Old 06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Twincruiser
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with dealers, they probably have hundreds of stock pipes in the warehouse from doing stage 1 upgrades before the bike leaves the shop. I bet that they would sell them cheap, but then it's HD so who knows. Maybe an Indy shop would be a better place to start.

Last edited by Twincruiser; 06-29-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigheadted

I've been in lots of newer vehicles, and not a single one of them was so soundproof that you couldn't hear a Harley with loud pipes coming up beside you in your blind spot. Is that the reason why I have loud pipes? No, like you said, I just like the way it sounds... but you can't deny that it increases other's awareness of you!

Quick Reply: The sound of almost silence