Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tail light options, mine's melting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with tail light options, mine's melting...

Last year I installed a detachable tour pak and opted to use the basic tour pak kit that doesn't include the Harley billboard license plate mount. I mounted the license below the tail light using a Softbrake relocation kit. I also installed a lay down tail light from Biker's choice. It's a nice clean look to me. I noticed the other day that my lens is now melting from the 1157 bulb. I called Biker's Choice and they acknowledge that it could happen if I rode my bike a lot. I've read a few other post about the same issue...

So I called a few places today trying to find a LED tail light lens that has the clear window for the tag on the bottom. So far, no such product exist. Radiantz at first said they could make such a beast but it would cost more. Later in the conversation, their suggestion was to skip that idea and run a LED license plate cover upside down. I didn't think that would work due to the slight bend in the Softbrake kit that follows the curve of the fender. Plus I'd have to fab up some way of routing and connecting the tag light. I tried to pursue the custom lens being made but they backed out on the original idea of a custom part build.

With that said, here's some options I have:
  • First would be to find a non LED that has no window and find some sort of tag light. I think the older Road King's came with this but I only see the one's with a window on top. Can anyone point me at one of these?
  • Another option is going LED tail light with no license window and a separate tag light. Kinda not crazy about having only 1 LED on the whole bike.
  • The third option would buy another Biker's Choice lens and run a LED 1157 bulb. So far I've yet to see a bottom window non-laydown style lens. I asked Radiantz about their Pirate 24 and 30 bulbs. They said both are about the same but I wonder if the 30 stands too far out. The other concern was the brightness. Radiantz said both bulbs are as bright or brighter than a stock 1157. I've also seen a couple of JDM STAR brand bulbs on Amazon that get good reviews. One is red and the other one is "Xenon white". If the Amazon jobs are bright enough, would there be an advantage to the red over the white?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the BAL is a great taillight- expensive but worth it.

I use a 2010 roadking signal bar on my 2009 FLHTC:

the leds are in the curved section that bumps out- the plate light leds are spliced into my fender tip light.
the turn signals and taillight are plug and play- you can stick with a conventional taillight- get the matching solid red lens.

it is odd that you are having melting problems- brake light stuck on?
wiring problem? correct bulb?
if a "normal" spec bulb is melting the taillight- then that would make it not DOT compliant and the seller should give you your money back- unless of course it is sold as a "novelty"

the BAL is expensive but a really great upgrade.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-26-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

You could get an LED replacement bulb, those run cooler. Fits right into the 1157 socket.

They make a dual intensity bulb, call http://superbrightleds.com, ask for the brightest one they have.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

I did the exact same conversion on my RK. Normal filament bulbs are too close to the lens causing the melting you describe.

You need a RED LED bulb. White LED light washes out and will be very dim. The red lens will only allow mostly red light to shine through it. I then used the lay down taillight lens with no window for the licence plate light. It stills shines enough light through the opening on the signal light bar to make the plate visible at night. I did not use a separate plate light and have ridden for 5 years through many states and provinces with no issues from LEO's regarding the lack of a plate light.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Thanks mkguitar for the reply. When searching for options, I saw your post and learned about the RK option. It does look great. I think the RK bar is more narrow too which I think looks better.

Believe it or not, I think it's common for the normal 1157 to melt the lens. I've noticed that others re-brand the same light and advertise it for a LED bulb.

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the BAL is a great taillight- expensive but worth it.

I use a 2010 roadking signal bar on my 2009 FLHTC:

the leds are in the curved section that bumps out- the plate light leds are spliced into my fender tip light.
the turn signals and taillight are plug and play- you can stick with a conventional taillight- get the matching solid red lens.

it is odd that you are having melting problems- brake light stuck on?
wiring problem? correct bulb?
if a "normal" spec bulb is melting the taillight- then that would make it not DOT compliant and the seller should give you your money back- unless of course it is sold as a "novelty"

the BAL is expensive but a really great upgrade.

mike

Old 06-26-2015, 03:15 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Thanks RevBlk for that suggestion. Maybe I'll order a replacement lens without a window so it can keep the lumens for just the illuminating the running light. I'll try red for sure.

I thought the same thing about not needing the clear tag window. There seems to be enough light from the low running light and the tag's pretty reflective.

Originally Posted by RevBlk
I did the exact same conversion on my RK. Normal filament bulbs are too close to the lens causing the melting you describe.

You need a RED LED bulb. White LED light washes out and will be very dim. The red lens will only allow mostly red light to shine through it. I then used the lay down taillight lens with no window for the licence plate light. It stills shines enough light through the opening on the signal light bar to make the plate visible at night. I did not use a separate plate light and have ridden for 5 years through many states and provinces with no issues from LEO's regarding the lack of a plate light.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see what year/model you have

Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 PM
hallfleming
Cruiser

I'll add it to my profile. 2010 Ultra Classic.

Originally Posted by just plain john
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see what year/model you have

Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

You can get a budget lens from almost anywhere (Amazon, eBay, ect). I've used superbright.com LED's in my gauges and they were easy to deal with. For myself, I have a Bright Assed Light and wouldn't change it for nothing but as mentioned they don't give them away.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:00 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,623 Likes on 5,178 Posts

Another BAL anit never changing it.

Quick Reply: Help with tail light options, mine's melting...