Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp. Much cooler!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:54 AM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Oil temp. Much cooler!

let me give you a little history first. i bought my 2010 ultra 3 years ago this month. when i purchased the bike from a N.C. BMW Dealer it did come with the owners manual that had the original buyers name and dealership location written in it along with the salespersons name and service managers name as well. i called the dealership and had them fax me all of the add-ons and work performed at their shop. over $7,000 invested which included a dynojet PCV, V&H Dresser duals, V&H Twin slash slip-ons, Screamin eagle stage 1 A/C and a digital oil dip stick/temp. gauge.

i have since put 15,000 miles on the bike myself since buying it and have changed the oil routinely. more about this a little later. let me tell you what got me here. since owning the bike there have been ocassions when i would feel the need for speed. who hasn't? 1st gear through 4th i would always hit the bikes rpm limit pretty quickly and many of those times i would end up getting to 100-105 MPH but not more than that.

I posted a thread a few weeks back asking for input of why this set up couldn't get me past 100-105 MPH range. a few responses came in from some experienced riders which led me into this direction. i paid more attention to my redline limit and made sure i was running it out in each gear all the while noticing my speed. i was excited to see if this would help me. well i was disappointed, it didn't change a thing! but i did notice something else!!! the bikes RPM limit was achieved at only 5000RPM!!!!!! whaaaat!! so i dug a little deeper and looked into the PCV set up. AAAHHHH i found out why. the rev limiter function was not check marked(6200RPM) after making the adjustment i was excited to get out there and try her again. nothing changed!! whaaaaat!!!

so i called dynojet (great customer service) kenny remotely took over my computer and did some firmware upgrades to the unit while i watched on my computer screen (cool) after finishing he said take her for a ride! i did. nothing changed!! whaaaat!!!!! so i called dynojet back. kenny said to take PCV completely out of the bike and go out for another ride. i did. WOW!!!!!! A COMPLETE CHANGE!!! the bike now runs out to 5,700 RPMS and i didn't even get into 5th gear before backing off at 105MPH. i called kenny back and it seems there may be an issue with the PCV (it's in the mail going to get fixed free of charge)

anyhow back to the oil.

remember the digital dipstick with oil temp.? evrytime i change the oil i have gone with a different brand (my own testing method) and check the oil temp after evry ride. 1st brand was screamin eagle 20/50 2nd brand schaffers v-twin 20/50 3rd brand mobile 1 20/50 and 4th brand WAL-MART 20/50 synthetic at only $25.00 for 4 quarts. the results were all very similiar with the temp. ranging from 245-265 degrees depending on the days air temperature. fascinating! but here is the kicker!!! i no longer have the PCV on the bike (it's in the mail) it was a beautiful day temp wise (78 degrees) and my wife wanted to go out for a ride and dinner on the bike. oh no! it runs way too lean when new let alone after the stage 1 mods. there's no way i can take the chance. but, my LIVE TO RIDE/ RIDE TO LIVE spirit came over me and i said "LET'S DO IT" it was a 25 mile ride 1 way so i didn't really think it would hurt anything so we rode! anyways, after dinner we hopped on the scoot and headed for home ( the long way) average speed 70 MPH. we finally ended up back home safe and sound. checked the oil temp. and stood up and took notice!!!!! 227 degrees! whaaat!!! now this WAL-MART oil does have roughly 1,000 miles on it so it isn't that it is fresh. so how does this happen? a bike that is running lean from factory has engine mods (which make it run leaner) has a dynojet PCV INSTALLED and it runs a lot hotter than when removed and running with WAL-MART brand 20/50 synthetic. i am seriously considering just selling the dynojet PCV when it comes back and not re-installing it. unless!!!! because of it being faulty. then if it does improve things (we will see) i will continue to run it. SO with that being said, what are your thoughts on my discovery?????

about the digital dipstick accuracy. it's really relative to the one your using. same dipstick for all tests so it is a consistant barometer of measure. thanks for the input so far.

it's saturday and my wife and i are going for another ride. 75 degrees out i will keep you posted on the updates.

Last edited by cbaker1@farmersagent.com; 06-27-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Paragraphs man, paragraphs.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:32 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Sorry, after looking at the massive article, I just couldn't bring myself to go blind from reading it. Yes, on the paragraph post.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

You bike hits the rev limiter at 5200 from the factory. With the PC-V installed and the ticky-box checked it will rev-limit at 6200...BUT....your tach will still show a max of 5200...UNLESS... your bike has the dealer Stage 1 download. I may be incorrect about that but there are a lot of threads in the tuning section of the forum that will help you. It appears yours has a dealer download since you said it went to 5700 before you backed off.

As for performance, the PC-V may not have the correct MAP for the mods on the bike. Did the original owner get it from Fuel-moto? If so, they will help you to get the correct MAP download.

As for oil temp, anywhere near or over 230*F is normal for any oil you choose to run whether it be regular dino, Mobil, Amsoil, etc. A lot depends on the ride and the air temp. Those oil dipshit temp gauges aren't very accurate anyway.

As others have said, your OP was a tough read. Paragraphs and punctuation are good. A lot of CAP LOCKS!!!!!!!!! and exclamations are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by White Ice; 06-27-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:30 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

White Ice: I commend you for actually reading the original posting. I gave up on reading it after the first two sentences. The posting gave me a huge headache. I need to go rest my eyes now.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 AM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

*cliffnotes needed

Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil isn't really playing a factor in the temp. It's the 78deg cool night temps at 70 mph that helps. More wind to cool it, air temp is low, your not riding 100 mph in 4th gear. Your in 5 or 6. Rpms are probably around 2700 at 70 in 5th. Being leaner will change the temp a little but not a whole lot. It's mostly the air and how your riding. Mine runs 270s some days and 250s some days. Depends on weather, stop and go, and how hard I'm riding. The pcv may have the afr a little richer for power in the power bands, but cruising range is probably still 14.6.
I wouldn't worry or pay a lot of attention to the oil temp. Harleys run hot as heck anyway.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Paragraphs man, paragraphs.
And brevity. I have great respect for summarization skillz.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:21 PM
cbaker1@farmersagent.com
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry about the writting. didn't get that i was going to be critiqued. thought i was writing a H-D forum.
anyhow. FYI
i just returned from a 200 mile round trip in 78-83 degree weather riding two up and a little gear.
guess what?
the bike ran great! and the oil temp. gauge never read more than 253 degrees.
keep in mind this was all done without a dynojet PCV
kind of ruins the fact of needing a fuel tuner doesn't it?
and the reason i keep track of oil temp. (using it as a gauge) to determine whether or not the bike is getting too hot.
oh! and by the way i calculated the fuel mileage today and found i was getting better than 44 MPG's
since owning the bike and with the tuner connected i never got any better than 37MPG

Old 06-27-2015, 09:31 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

maybe you got some high octane gas in there somehow

Quick Reply: Oil temp. Much cooler!