Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Tech Zumo - NIM Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Road Tech Zumo - NIM Problem

I have a Road Tech Zumo 660LM mounted on my bike and connected to the radio through the Harley Navigation Interface Module. It has been working fine for the past year since I installed it. All of a sudden I no longer get voice directions through the speakers. Music plays fine through the Aux connection and the music mutes when the Zumo wants to give me voice directions. The Zumo works fine when not on the mount and the voice comes through the Zumo speaker.

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem to see if I have a bad NIM or bad wire connection (I have visually checked all the connections and can't see any problem).

Installed on 2010 FLHXSE.

Thanks, Rick

Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Zumo Audio

A wire may have vibrated loose inside your fairing. After checking that, I would contact Garmin.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

If you have the fairing mount, with the double row of spring loaded pins. Clean the pins with alcohol, and push each one in and out with a small screwdriver. I know this, because the same thing happened to mine recently. This action fixed it.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
If you have the fairing mount, with the double row of spring loaded pins. Clean the pins with alcohol, and push each one in and out with a small screwdriver. I know this, because the same thing happened to mine recently. This action fixed it.
Thanks, I'll give the alcohol a try. I wiped them with a rag and made sure they were all functioning (in and out) properly.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Thanks, I'll give the alcohol a try. I wiped them with a rag and made sure they were all functioning (in and out) properly.
Oh yeah...wipe down the contacts on the GPS unit too.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
A wire may have vibrated loose inside your fairing. After checking that, I would contact Garmin.
I had already sent the following email to Garmin.

I have a Road Tech Zumo 660LM mounted on my bike and connected to the radio through the Harley Navigation Interface Module. It has been working fine for the past year since I installed it. All of a sudden I no longer get voice directions through the speakers. Music plays fine through the Aux connection and the music mutes when the Zumo wants to give me voice directions. The Zumo works fine when not on the mount and the voice comes through the Zumo speaker.

Do you have any troubleshooting tips or wiring diagrams that I can use to see if my NIM is defective or a connection has come loose.

This was their response:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to help with this today. Unfortunately the NIM cable is an exclusive Harley Davidson part, we do not have any installation instructions or diagrams for those cables. To have that cable checked out, your best bet would be to have the dealership that installed it take a look at it for you.

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Who needs Garmin when you have this forum. The alcohol did the trick. I had wiped both the pins and the contacts on the back of the Zumo with a clean Microfiber cloth without success. Added alcohol and that fixed the problem. Thanks TriGeezer.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had that problem once. It was that switch on the dash that I moved when I washed the bike. I can't remember the switch but think it was one of the 3 position switches right there on the dash.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:03 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FinalShot
I had that problem once. It was that switch on the dash that I moved when I washed the bike. I can't remember the switch but think it was one of the 3 position switches right there on the dash.
When I was searching the forum for a possible solution I saw that some had that problem where the switch wasn't in the "speaker" position. I don't have that switch on my bike. I think I read that it is only on bikes that have a CB or intercom.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice scooter

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem to see if I have a bad NIM or bad wire connection (I have visually checked all the connections and can't see any problem).

Installed on 2010 FLHXSE.

Thanks, Rick

Old 07-07-2015, 09:25 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TennesseeEG
Nice scooter
Some people just have good taste
Nice job on the tour pack.

Quick Reply: Road Tech Zumo - NIM Problem