Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest road trip so far (to me)....whats your checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM
JonnyVegas
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Longest road trip so far (to me, SFO to Montreal)....whats your checklist?

So Ive shipped my bike to SFO and plan on riding down the coast to OC and then up to Sturgis. From Sturgis Ill be heading back home to Montreal.

What are the must ahves for you guys on long hauls ? this will be my longest ride yet so any suggestons will help.

Ive got a little tool set, rain gear, the rear air suspension pump, zip ties, trusty HD touring book.....I cant really think of much else

On an other note......what are some good routes ?

We plan on doing PCH1, hwy9 in Utah through Zion Park. Then hwy12 From Bryce UT, head south a little and ride through the San Juan pass hwy550 in Colorado, needles highway of course but thats about all I have planned.

Last edited by JonnyVegas; 07-27-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire plug ,air pump

Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Give some thought to what you would do if you had a break down. I have the HOG number to call and I also have roadside coverage with my State Farm policy. Don't know if you have any concerns about a lot of sun on your face and arms, but you need to at least think about that. Also try to protect back of my neck from sun (bandana, etc). I would also have an app on my phone for the location of Harley shops. I have to keep my skin covered so I take a HD mesh jacket that protects skin but allows air flow to arms. I wear a modular helmet with light smoke visor to keep sun off face. I wear the fingerless riding gloves, but I get them from a bicycle shop. I don't use the ones that are open on the back of hand. I take seat pads, but i'm an old fart who's butt gets tired. I pull a trailer so i also take stuff that most people don't.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

take a hard look at your rear tire. If it's marginal, get a new one. As mentioned by wfrog, I pull a Bushtec and I put a air pump in it. Same kind you keep in the garage to inflate football and bike tires. I use it to add couple pounds of air to tires as needed. I take a quart of oil with me and I always need to use some along the way. In spring and fall I take some cold weather clothing, but you won't need that, just the opposite. I have an app on my phone for the nearest Walmart but you can also just type in "walmarts near me" and get the same answer.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Bring your credit card. It packs small and cures lots of problems that pop up. Sounds like a great trip, enjoy.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Ray on the drums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 512 Posts

I'll add a few extra common nuts and bolts, couple spark plugs, extra glasses and rolling papers and the gear for inside them.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

GPS is great to have, especially with that many different locations.

Camera.

Layers, you are going to hit all kinds of weather and temps. You can layer up or down as needed.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Small screws/shoe goo for boot sole fixes.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

Advice from an old guy I knew, I'll pass it on="Always keep your motorcycle in top condition, cause motorcycle boots ain't made for walking." Works for me.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Just finished a 3k mile trip. A good tire repair kit, plugs, tire gauge and a way to inflate the tire.
Someone advised me to put a put a credit card in a secure spot on the bike in case you loose the wallet.
I carry 1 qt. of oil.
We wear 1/2 helmets and carry full face to put on if we have to ride in the rain, and it always rains.
Check to make sure your security pin works if you loose the fob.
Yellowstone is a great place to visit if you have time and if you get up there check out Bear Tooth pass from Cooke City MT to Red Lodge.
Have a great trip and be safe.

Quick Reply: Longest road trip so far (to me)....whats your checklist?