Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at new bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Mv7fd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at new bikes

I'm looking to buy a brand new road glide and I was wondering a couple things first is do they really do any wiggle much on price and what are the going interest rates through Harley right now

Old 10-09-2015, 11:15 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Each dealer is a separate entity.

you'd do best to call around and get "out the door" prices

( assuming you have test ridden and the RG is the choice)

financing- bring your own ( from credit union or bank) for the best pricing, then give the dealer the opportunity to beat the cost of borrowing money.

there are websites which help "find dealer cost" which can tell you the margin they make- they may not budge on pricing...or they may

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-09-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Mv7fd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more worried about the interest rate I think it's like 7 percent

Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Unless Harley Financial Group is running a low interest rate on a certain model,you probably are going to get a interest rate based on your credit rating.My friend just purchased a new Harley through HD financial group at 3.99 interest rate.Need to shop around.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:59 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Just bought mine six weeks ago. 0.99% Which is essentially free money.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:07 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Each dealer is a separate entity.

you'd do best to call around and get "out the door" prices

( assuming you have test ridden and the RG is the choice)

Mike
Always compare apples to apples - so the "out the door price" is the best thing to ask for as dealers will play with their numbers - base price, dealer prep, delivery, etc to confuse you into thinking you are getting a good deal.

Even if you have cash - see if the dealer will offer you a better price on financing and if they do, take it & then pay the note off on the first payment.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:13 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mv7fd
I'm more worried about the interest rate I think it's like 7 percent
=================

If theres any way you can afford an ESP especially since you can sometimes get a reduced price on it when buying a new bike go for it .

I really like my HD but the fact is some HD's can have mult major issues over time & miles that an get very expensive in a heartbeat not matter how good you maintain or baby it which you can find is the case all over the internet and in this site too.

I have been riding every yr on the street for well over 40yrs and the 1st time i had ever had a bike die on me while riding on the street was only after i bought my 1st hd that was an 09 flhtcu with 9,700 original pampered miles on it.

And it crapped out 3x due to the fretting issues with elec connector on throttle body that i cleaned and dressed with dialectric greas with not much improvement which on 3rd time was finally bad enough to show up as an issue when tested at shop for ESP repair.

The metric bikes i rode for over 40yrs prior to getting the HD never once quit on me & i knew what i was getting into with the HD & am not surprised and or am not complaining either because there is a lot i like about the HD that most metrics can't match.

So keep that in mind when getting prices to at least ask for their best price on an ESP that would kick in post std warranty expiration.

I bought an esp 6/2015 when there were only 13k miles on my 09 flhtcu at the time and so far have had front wheel bearings replaced , connector on throttle body replaced /upgraded and while they were doing that told me the starter was going bad too which is correct because i hear it making noises it shouldn't too which will be the most expensive repair done thus far under ESP.

List price for a new starter for my bike shows close to $400 though oem HD starter can be found for just above $300 but if done @ HD would be a min of $500-550+ with my local hd gettiing $90 hr labor rate.

Now i have to make an appt to get that done all under ESP thus so theres a flat $50 fee for each repair regardless of the overall cost.

So with starter included thats approx $800-850 in repairs my bike has already needed under the ESP since i got it 4 months ago not counting the compensator that cost me approx $450 inc gaskets,oil etc that had to be fixed prior to qualifying for the ESP.

And to add to that the compensator was shot when i 1st bought the bike with only 9,700 miles on from original owner which i had to eat because bike would not pass the certification insp to qualify for the ESP till that was fixed which i did myself.

I installed a new SE comp kit (Bakers new comp wasnt avail yet!) with GMR's compusaver oiling tray at the same time & all is go thus far with 7,500+miles on that setup.

BTW,with 9,700 miles the stock prim chain tensioner i was happy to see it in fact had basically no wear showing on the rubbing block not requiring repalcement which was great.

Let us know how it works out with the new bike purchase and if you get the esp too.

Good luck.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-09-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Many dealers offer financing from various sources, they should be able to find you the best rate they can. Also look at credit unions, they might give you a good rate. Helps heaps if you have a good FICO score.

As already mentioned, dealers are all independent businesses, and there are no pat answers to your pricing questions. They are free to charge what they want, you are free to pay what you want.

Never hurts to visit more than one dealer, if there's are several in you're area.

Go shopping

Old 10-09-2015, 01:26 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You can also negotiate other things as part of the deal beside a free T shirt. Store credit, 20% off parts/labor for the first 30 days, a free service, discount off merchandise. Worth a try.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:35 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
You can also negotiate other things...Worth a try.
This can muddy the waters- just get a clear OTD price.

moke

Quick Reply: Looking at new bikes