Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can it be this hard to find the perfect seat? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Can it be this hard to find the perfect seat? Help!

I'm on my third seat. I'm 6'3 240lbs and I've got a 2013 Street Glide with a tour pak. Stock street glide seat was too hard. Stock Ultra seat isn't bad, but not sure about for days at a time. newest one is I bought a stock electra glide seat that had been redone by mean city cycles and it sits me too far forward.

Priced out a Corbin and **** it's expensive for a seat with so many negative reviews.

Somebody steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a seat that sits me back a little bit and maybe a little lower. I put 18-22000 miles on my bike a year and like taking moderate road trips where I ride for days at a time. I think I'd like a driver back rest, but I'm not sold on it.

Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Go to the dealer. Try out the demo seats. I really like my Hammock. They should have the other models there too. Free to try, before you buy.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you could send your stock seat to Mean City and tell them what you want. They could get you down and back. They can even soften it some.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Thomas Bonnington
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the reviews I have read on Russell Day Long seats are very good, they are expensive, but if you put that many miles on your butt will probably thank you many times over. If you can, they even have a ride in option so they can personally fit you for the seat at their factory. I know I am getting one as soon as I can squirrel away that kind of cash from the wife.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I'm going through the same thing, and here's one of the MOST important things I've learned as I try seats: If you're thinking of getting a backrest, make sure you put it on before you test ride the different seats, because it will TOTALLY change your posture and how you sit on the seat.

It will change the angle of your lower back because it gives you better support, which will change how and where the bottom of your pelvis fits on the seat, which will significantly change how each seat feels, particularly after a full day of riding.

I put an Ultra seat on mine, which is much better than stock, but didn't feel as good as the Sundowner, which didn't feel as good as the Hammock. But, damn, I just can't bring myself to spend that much for a seat.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:32 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You mentioned a backrest. I can tell you from years of experience. The first thing I do on any new or used bike I buy is install the HD adjustable backrest. Makes just a huge difference in comfort. I usually adjust it a bit forward when I'm first riding. Keeps me a bit "upright". And usually after a while I've adjusted it all the way back and am basically going down the road in my Lazy-Boy position.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Holy crap !! Riding a bike that is 20k and sniveling about a 500 dollar seat !!

I tried many seats and also avoided the expensive Corbin but I have no pride so I am able buy and used someone elses used stuff and I eventually picked up a Corbin. Best seat ever for me hands down.
At first it was hard and seemed uncomfortable but soon enough my tender hiney got used to it and after a 1000k day it het me that I had no hotspots or raw areas because of the Corbin.

There is no holy grail perfect seat for everyone, my **** may like a Corbin but Joe loves his Sundowner, Tom really digs his Mustang and Dick is just dandy with his stock seat, Harry just likes to bitch about everything and is never content.

Maybe it is really the short suspension making you uncomfortable ??

A backrest helps a tremendous amount and so does a sheepskin pad.

Find a used one for cheap and try it out, you spend more on tires fer cripes sake !!

Last edited by bigheadted; 10-20-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

..and I being a back surgery guy find the backrest hurts...as I move up and down in the seat the backrest aggravates the soreness.

so we are all different.

OP you mention the stock ultra seat, but haven;t tried it at distance.

i find the ultra seat works great for 500 mile days, day after day.

in conjunction with stock 13" air shocks tuned for floaty soft ride...give it a try.

I use the SG seat around town and in state and find it is good for 4 hours, painful at 6.
Often with 12" shocks and a shortened windscreen

I had a very poor experience with a corbin seat, made worse by shockingly poor customer service- I promised Corbin I would always share.

The seat was hard as heck, butt numbing after 40 minutes, they said "it'll break in, if you still have trouble call back".
well I did and they said "too late".
not long after I noticed the covering was cracking and coming apart.

they said "sun exposure" I said you are selling a product used outdoors, and in any case when it is outside it is shaded by my butt.

so for a high cost I got a too-hard seat which came apart after a short while...and a story to share.

the foam they use looks like recycled carpet underpadding- and I think that gives them impurities and inconsistent batches

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

6'1" and 215 lbs. HD hammock with the adjustable backrest and highway pegs is pure magic all day long. I can ride 900 miles without being sore, get up and do it again the next day. I rode similar miles a year as you do.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

C and C did me right. Back and down about 1 inch. Very nice people. I am 6' 1", 260, it was a little stiff at first but broke in nice. And they give a discount to forum members.

Quick Reply: Can it be this hard to find the perfect seat? Help!