Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar on 1990 Electraglide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM
IM A WILD PARTY
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sissy bar on 1990 Electraglide?

I picked up my first Harley a couple months back and with spring only a couple months away, I'm starting to get serious about getting the bike ready to ride.

Some time long past the stock luggage rack/tour pack was removed by a previous owner. I didn't think much of it, figuring I'd easily be able to source an aftermarket setup to get a sissy bar with a luggage rack on there.

I was surprised that I couldn't find anything from any manufacturer that would directly fit the bike(according to fitment specs). Originally I wanted something quick-detach but at this point I'd be happy with anything.

It seems like products for '93 and later models are easy to source but us pre '93 owners appear to be out of luck. Are the back ends on these bikes really different enough that there isn't any parts interchangeability?

I'm hoping someone on here knows of a trick that would work. While I dig the clean tour-packless look, it would be a bummer to be stuck without the extra capacity and passenger comfort of even a sissy bar w/luggage rack.

I've included some pics of the back end in question.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:16 PM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

I had an 87 EG for 10 years, I feel your pain. It is hard to find parts you want to fit your bike. I can tell you, a detachable tour pack kit for 1997-2008 will easily fit on your bike. One of the mount studs sticks out over your saddlebag lid a little but still works. The front detachable mount that you need for just a backrest does not fit because your saddlebags are too close to the frame. I'm not sure if you can space the bags out far enough to make it work or not, I never tried. I just put the tour pack on when my wife was with me and took it off when she wasn't. You might want to ask in the evo forum, there's a lot more mods going on over there for bikes like yours.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:31 PM
IM A WILD PARTY
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, thanks for that info, much appreciated.

Now, to find a mod to move the thread...