Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009+ 4 point docking hardware Problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2009+ 4 point docking hardware Problems.....

So I have always had a hard time putting on my sissy bar, almost like the bar was bent, have to pull the bar out to get it to fit... Now I bought a stealth luggage rack and had to litterally loosen the bolts to the 4 pt hardware to put the rack on and then tighten it up or else the luggage rack would'nt fit. I would think that it was just my bike but my buddies 2010 bike is the exact same way.... what gives.. is the design that poor or maybe the hardware was installed wrong??? its very disheartening with how much this stuff costs.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt the hardware is installed wrong, but you need to make sure it's not. On that note, I have never had an accesory fit first time on my '08 or my '12. I had to tweak (in the vise or some other method) both the sissy bar upright and the tour pak mount on my '08 and just recently the sissy bar upright and luggage rack on my '12. I suspect I will have to also tweak the tour pak mount when I purchase it. It is frustrating, but just the way it is most of the time. Tweaking it takes only a minute or two and you can fine tune it to slide on and off in a few seconds. There is probably a large acceptable tolerance on the width of the fender, struts, etc, then also the docking points and accessories. When you stack them all up, the potential is there for a misfit, for instance if your fender, struts and mounts are at maximum width and your accessory is at minimum width, probably going to be a bitch. I'm sure some guys are lucky and they slide right on, but then there are the others that need adjustment.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,629 Posts

I hear you - literally had to stand on one end of bar & pull w/all might to spread them out...otherwise it was nearly impossible to latch. I thing the Chinese are messing w/us...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser

well im glad its a common problem, but gees for the -/+ $500 for the sissybar,luggage rack, detach hardware it would fit better lol.. However I must say it looks nice so far

Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Vile Lou
Advanced

Had the same problem with my detach sissy bar. Too narrow. Pulled it out some and, although tight, it is on. Guys said it'll be easier to install next time. I'm keeping it on over the winter. But it doesn't rattle or squeak which some have said they were bothered with. Fwiw

Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
C110BOB
Intermediate

On my 2011 Roadglide, luggage rack goes on and off easily but sissy bar has to be pulled apart to get it on and very dificult to get off. I guess it's normal, but it shouldn't be.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:37 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My sissy bar goes on much easier than it comes off... after releasing the latches, and lifting the rear, have to really pull on it to get it the front to release, but it's really not that bad I guess - at least I know it's not a loose fit...

Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

There are a couple of threads on this. I even started one. My dealer shaved off a little in an unnoticeable spot on the docking kit and now it works perfectly. Still, shouldn't even have to do this, or any of the other workarounds.

TedMan

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

Mine is a lil rough to get the sissy bar on,taking of the seat makes it a lil easyer to put it on,

Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Check rubber O-Ring next to the fenders I had same problem on a Softail had to work on them worked better after.

Quick Reply: 2009+ 4 point docking hardware Problems.....