Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 is here

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Power Commander 5 is here

My local dealer called me today to tell me the power commander is in. He even loaded a map into it for me based upon my set up or at least as close as he could find. I sure hope this is worth the money. Currently I have a 2003 RK Clasic Anniversary edition with a stage one Breather and kerker 3.5 in. slipons with fish tail extensions. Factory canned map from when it was new. I have had no issues with the bike but it does seem a tad sluggish and was told this will definitely improve it. Going to install it on the weekend. Seems pretty simple to mount, although now we got snow up here again...so will have to see how it performs when that goes.

randy

Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Good Luck, I have had PC III's in my 03, went thru 2 of them, nothing but problems, I found the company support to be less than poor ( oh we can't fix it but we will sell you a PC5 )... that turned me off to that company.

I run newer style stock head pipes on my 03, so I have the O2 bungs, and there is a brand new Thundermax sitting on the kitchen table that arrived today... all I need is some warm weather to get it installed, along with the pile of parts for the 13 Ultra I have amassed over the winter.

I have had a thundermax in my 03 before (loaner from a friend) and the bike ran fantastic, much better than I could ever get it to run with the PCIII.

Are you going to run closed loop?

I paid 675 for the Thundermax, and a pc5 with the 02 sensors and module to go closed loop FI is about the same amount... and I won't have all sorts of add on modules trying to fool my stock ECM into doing something it was never meant to do.

My target a/f ratio is 13:1, that should cool it off..... and take advantage of the Andrews 509 gear drives that are in the cam chest

Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 PM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Good Luck, I have had PC III's in my 03, went thru 2 of them, nothing but problems, I found the company support to be less than poor ( oh we can't fix it but we will sell you a PC5 )... that turned me off to that company.

I run newer style stock head pipes on my 03, so I have the O2 bungs, and there is a brand new Thundermax sitting on the kitchen table that arrived today... all I need is some warm weather to get it installed, along with the pile of parts fosar the 13 Ultra I have amassed over the winter.

I have had a thundermax in my 03 before (loaner from a friend) and the bike ran fantastic, much better than I could ever get it to run with the PCIII.

Are you going to run closed loop?

I paid 675 for the Thundermax, and a pc5 with the 02 sensors and module to go closed loop FI is about the same amount... and I won't have all sorts of add on modules trying to fool my stock ECM into doing something it was never meant to do.

My target a/f ratio is 13:1, that should cool it off..... and take advantage of the Andrews 509 gear drives that are in the cam chest

As long as I can remember all my buddies that use or used the power commander have had major problems at one time or another. Soon as they were unplugged from the bike problems were gone. Not saying all will have the same experience just saying what I saw.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:54 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

They have history of being pretty bad but plenty of people have them without any issues

Old 02-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisg81983
As long as I can remember all my buddies that use or used the power commander have had major problems at one time or another. Soon as they were unplugged from the bike problems were gone.
Bingo, exactly what happened to me, bike was tossing codes, pulled the PCIII out of the equation and the problems went away.

The first time it happened I grabbed a spare PCIII my Mechanic had in his spares pile, and sent mine back to DynoJet, who said it was not repairable.

It is a effn circuit board, it has components on it. Apparently they can not troubleshoot to the component level over there, or they can not diagnose a software issue, but they were more than happy to offer to sell me another one of their products.

Eventually the loaner PCIII started to screw up as the bike was tossing codes ( I forget which ones ) and I ripped it out..and to my surprise the codes stopped.

I offered to pay my mechanic for the unit, as it failed in my bike, but he wouldn't take my money.... that tells me the thing had no value to him.

I am not a fan of a device that is re-interpreting data and passing it on to the ECM.

the SERT or whatever HD is using these days re calibrates the ECM, we do that in cars all the time, no big deal. I have a SERT in my 13 Stage 4 and that calibration is runing the bike just fine ( although I suspect it may be a little fat on the mixture)

I was told by my Indy recently, when we were discussing what to do with the 2003 bike since I was running around with a open element Big Sucker and 509 cams on the stock ECM.... which has to be a lean A/F mix, that one option was to send the stock ECM out to a company that reflashes the map based on your particular situation. Not a bad idea, and IMHO a better option that fooling the ECM by modifying input data on the fly, but since I had the ability to drop in O2 sensors, why would I opt for 1980's technology when I could have closed loop EFI that would adjust in real time.

OK I have hijacked this thread enough, as soon as the weather gets warm enough for me to work in the garage, or the salt washes off the road and I can ride the bike down to my shop, I will get the new ECM in and programmed, then it will go down to my Indy for a rear tire and belt, and a peek n see inside the primary while it is torn down.... with the intent of replacing every seal we can get at since they are 13 years old......

Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Got my PCV from Jamie at FuelMoto 6 years ago. Not one problem of any kind. He told me if I'm experiencing a problem to call him up and will send me another one w/o question. So far, Nothing. (Knock on wood). My Ultra's running real good ever since.

Thorey

Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, talk about raining on ones parade. Thanks for the heads up fellas. I think I will go kick my dog now.

randy

Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Wow, talk about raining on ones parade. Thanks for the heads up fellas. I think I will go kick my dog now.

randy
I've never had a problem with the PCV series (on 5 bikes) neither have 99% of my friends.
Once in a great while you'll hear about someone having an issue like anything else but other than that, solid.
If they were pieces of crap they would have not sold a gazillion of them.

No worries.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Are the problems people are experiencing with the DynoJet PCV product itself?

I have heard nothing but good things about Fuel Moto and their customer service. I was thinking of buying a PCV in the spring and if I do, it will be from them.

I doubt they would be so well respected here if a product they sold failed and they were telling people that there was nothing that could be done and they had to spend more money for something else.

No vendor bashing please, but could someone elaborate on the dis-satisfaction?
Were you unhappy with the product or the people you bought it from?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 AM
gilbert_roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my PCV for over a year - never skipped a beat or caused strange codes. As for customer service - the couple of folks I deal with via email could not be better. They are responsive and, without fail, respond to my emails by the end of the day and usually within a couple of hours.

I like the product and the support - has worked well for me.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 is here