Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 AM
evodub1960
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hayden M6

So installed the M6 .....anybody have any issues with the M6 collapsing and bottoming out when blipping the throttle in neutral and ratting on the mounting bracket......everything else seems to work great other than have this noise......have a 1/4 of clearance under it but called and they said it would break in and gain some ........

Last edited by evodub1960; 03-26-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

What year and type bike?

Never heard of that before. Ran 2 of them for thousands of miles with no problems. Have heard folks saying chain is too tight with them on 09 and up bikes, but not too loose. Do you have both springs installed? I've heard bikes with the stock tensioner that was too loose rattle when blipping it and the chain hits the primary casing, but not with an M6.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I have one on my 2010 and the noise will subside once the chain wears into the nylon block. You will find all kinds of reviews on here. Some will hate them and pull them from the get go. These guys will either weld the OE or install the Baker unit. Others love them with having no issues.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Hayden's are problematic on newer bikes. Many threads on it. Basically they run very tight. Later stock adjusters seem to be working fine. The early ones had the problem of over adjusting. Baker unit is the real fix...

Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Hayden's are problematic on newer bikes. Many threads on it. Basically they run very tight. Later stock adjusters seem to be working fine. The early ones had the problem of over adjusting. Baker unit is the real fix...
Absolutely 100% without a doubt correct. Some choose to weld the earlier auto-tensioners into a permanent position, but thats not a long term solution because as the chain stretches with use, a welded unit will have no adjustment.

Here's the Baker Attitude Adjuster installed:

Old 03-27-2016, 04:55 PM
B18cx
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 FLHTCU. Exact same complaint. 1000 miles later and it seemed to have gotten louder. Did the updated spring per Hayden. Even worse. Between that and the fact that the chain was tight as a banjo string, i opted to pull it back out and went back stock.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

My 08 also has that problem. I just try not to blip the throttle right from idle. If it is just a little above idle when I blip it, it does not make the noise. I find the M6 is smooth other than that and I have no other complaints. I have about 10,000 miles on mine and I am going to leave it in.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

My M6 has been in for 3+ years, no issues at all.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
This is unfortunately true... It would appear they didn't check the unit when HD switched to the new compensator. Hayden even changed the size of the springs, when they started receiving a lot of complaints of how tight the primary chain was. There were many threads from newer bikes wondering about the install because the shoe was compressed more than Hayden stated in their install directions....

Hayden was prompt in sending me a set of newer springs, when I sent them a copy of the receipt for the M6 I bought with older, longer springs. But it was still a bit tighter than I felt comfortable with ... it's on a shelf in the garage....

Old 03-29-2016, 09:58 AM
knife_edge
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by evodub1960
So installed the M6 .....anybody have any issues with the M6 collapsing and bottoming out when blipping the throttle in neutral and ratting on the mounting bracket......everything else seems to work great other than have this noise......have a 1/4 of clearance under it but called and they said it would break in and gain some ........
Yeah, I had one on my old 2009 ROADGLIDE and after a short time the spring just snapped in two pieces. The problem began when I immediately noticed that every time I shifted into a different gear it was bottoming out with a jolting force and some serious load grinding noise. The grinding was so bad that I just went back to the oem before anything else happen inside the primary and that's when I found out that spring had snapped. It was a complete waist of money! I just felt disgusted with the whole thing, specially with the thought that every time I purchase any aftermarket parts the items just sucks and pisses me off of all the money I've spend. So whenever I go to these bike rallies and see those tents just full of nothing but junk. I am very reluctant to buy anything that is out there. You can easily fill up with unnecessary things that you just don't need. So, my advise is before making any purchases do you research on the item.

Quick Reply: Hayden M6