Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector

I am adding a heated backrest from the new tourpak I just received. I am using the switched accessory connector under the seat. I have the Y harness connected to it for the heated rider and passenger seat already with an open deutsch connector that I want to use. The wires that connect to the used tail of the y connector are orange and black. Makes sense- pos and ground and work fine. However the wires from the deutsch that connect to the other tail of the harness are orange and red/y. They dont look like they would work according to the schematic, but I'm not an expert at reading those. See pics of the schematic with a close up of the accessory pic and a pic of the deutsch y harness. Which is the ground? Does that circuit even look right for an accessory? Any help would be MUCH appreciated !!!

Attached Thumbnails Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector-harness.jpg   Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector-harness-close-up.jpg   Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector-20160407_183837.jpg  
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

The accessory plug has a pole that is hot all of the time and pole that is hot only when the switch is on.
Hook up a test light turn switch on test ,turn of test and you will know witch is witch.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

The black is ground.

The red/yellow comes on with the brake relay.

The orange/red comes on with the ignition switch.

The orange comes on with the accessory switch on the dash.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 AM
kishstl
Road Master

Originally Posted by skydude426
The black is ground.

The red/yellow comes on with the brake relay.

The orange/red comes on with the ignition switch.

The orange comes on with the accessory switch on the dash.
That's what it looked like to me also. So what I don't understand is that when you connect the HD Y harness to the accessory plug, it is supposed to give you 2 accessory plugs from one. How does it use the O/R and R/Y wires for an accessory circuit? If you look at the Y harness, one side (two pins of the deutsch) connects to O and Bk and the other side connects to the O/R and R/Y. Makes no sense to me. What is even the purpose of having those wires terminate on an accessory connector?

I can splice into the current side of the harness that has the O and Bk wires and is switched but I wanted to use a deustch for ease of removal and a much more watertight connection. I just don't understand what the other side of that Y harness is supposed to provide with the O/R and R/Y.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

it could be used for other stuff sold by HD....for example my saddlebag latches are the electraglo...and use the "run" and "brake" circuits.

some riders use HD gear and HD plugs...others of us do something else depending on our needs.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
kishstl (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 AM
skydude426
Club Member

It's for versatility. You may have an accessory that you want on with the ignition switch or something you want on with the brake lights. There are a lot of accessories out there.

The following users liked this post:
kishstl (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 AM
skydude426
Club Member

You can find places on line that sell Deutsch connectors and pins on line. I think Electric Depot is one. Then you can make your own Y connector.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
kishstl
Road Master

Guys, thanks for the thoughtful input. I hadn't thought of the run/brake circuit for a tourpak add'l light bar, etc. I will just make my own y harness to the switched side of the current y harness. Have the deutsch connectors and the amp pull won't be significantly higher. Love this forum.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:54 PM
kishstl
Road Master

Originally Posted by skydude426
You can find places on line that sell Deutsch connectors and pins on line. I think Electric Depot is one. Then you can make your own Y connector.
Thanks. I've got a terminal supply about a mile away from my office and they sell every connector known to man. They've got these 300 amp deutsch connectors the size of my Dragula exhaust!!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You know the rules...... Guys like pictures, not instructions But the easy way is to use a meter, and check which wire does what.

Last edited by shooter5074; 04-08-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Help reading wiring schematic on accessory connector