Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever had a bike stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 AM
HD Mojo
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Have you ever had a bike stolen?

I've been reading a few threads lately about FOBs and security systems.

A car of mine got stolen from an airport parking lot in Miami once.

Just curious, have you ever had a bike stolen? Luckily, I never have.

Last edited by HD Mojo; 05-02-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

No, never had a bike stolen. I had my saddle bags stolen once, wished they would have taken the whole bike at that time, the headaches and waiting time for the new bags sucked. I probably could have replaced the whole bike in half the time.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Never had one stolen. While traveling out west a few years ago there were some areas around a couple of larger cities were they were stealing Harleys out of motel parking lots.

They were pulling a small low trailer in beside the bike in the middle of the night, two or three guys would then push the bike over onto the trailer. The trailer would have a couple old mattresses on it so the bike wouldn't be damaged. They could be in and out in a matter of seconds. If the bike had an audible alarm it could hamper this method but many don't.

We were staying at mostly Best Westerns when we began hearing about this. For the rest of the trip I would either get permission to park in front of the lobby entrance or at least make sure I was parked between two vehicles at all times.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:44 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

A friend of mine had his stolen at a car event here in michigan. For those who are here it was Back to the bricks in flint. Took 6 months to get it paid back and alot of headaches trying to find all the receipts and pics he had of it to show all the stuff that was accessories on it. I wouldn't wish that on the worst person ever what a nightmare it was for him.

Batman

Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

So far no. Motorcycle thefts in this area are relatively rare. I figure that the security system and alarm will likely convince the casual/lazy opportunist scum and joy riders to try an easier target, and these clowns are probably 90% of the attempts. For the relatively few roving gangs of professional slime (they're gonna get it if they want it badly enough) I've got insurance that covers theft and vandalism. Nothing I'm losing any sleep over.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Yep....had a Kawasaki 750 triple stolen many years ago. I've never been the same after that loss!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

In 1979 while living in Phoenix had my 75 superglide stolen from the apt. complex. Had it chained to a post, they cut the lock and took the plate off a honda parked by my bike and put it on my bike. I spotted it 4 days later parked at a Sambos. It was easy to spot, had a 6" over frontend and a gawd awful king & queen seat!

Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Yep....had a Kawasaki 750 triple stolen many years ago. I've never been the same after that loss!

For me it was a Kawasaki 500. When I parked at UNLV I usually put a dog choke chain collar through the read wheel while I went to class. One day I was late and didn't take time
to use my 'security' chain. When I got out of class, my scooter was gone.

The frame was found, in the desert, about a year later. I have always felt that someone checked every day until the day I didn't use the chain.

That was a good example of crime being a result of opportunity. And that sometimes even a minor attempt at security might be helpful.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:06 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

My last bike was a Yamaha Roadstar. I was in Walmart getting some wings and beer. My gf at the time was parked near the bike. She called my cell in a panic. 2 Mexican guys (I'm not being racist, just descriptive) guys were trying to get it to roll (I had the bike locked). I can out running and pulled out on them. They got in their POS pick up and took off.

I never did buy those wings and beer.

The day I installed my aftermarket tour pak, I road to Costco. When I came out, 2 old guys (one was wearing black socks and shorts) were standing near the bike. I walked up to them said hello. Later in the day or so, when I inspected the bike, I noticed that the metal grommet was missing. I'm still convinced that someone tried to ****** it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-a-thief.html

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Mojo
I've been reading a few threads lately about FOBs and security systems.

A car of mine got stolen from an airport parking lot in Miami once.

Just curious, have you ever had a bike stolen? Luckily, I never have.
Never, but it's been a recurring (not quite a mightmare but certainly not pleasant) dream for years. Had a car stolen once - no beuno

Quick Reply: Have you ever had a bike stolen?