Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Your Own Oil Change While Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:13 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Doing Your Own Oil Change While Touring

I've got a 6000+ mile road trip planned and am wondering if anyone has performed an oil change while touring, using the multi-tool toolkit supplied with the Rushmore bikes? If additional tools are required for an oil change on the road, what was needed? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Grab a foil baking pan at a dollar store and head for an Auto Zone parking lot. They will loan you whatever you don't have and you can dispose of the oil there.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

+1

I use foil under the oil filter to channel oil to the catch pan

I use a phillips head screwdriver to pierce the end of the filter to drain the oil, then bang the screwdriver into the side to turn it off...I do this at home even when i have a filter wrench handy- this just works better on the H-D

Mike

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,646 Likes on 4,633 Posts

why would you do this? service the bike before you leave. Are you riding 5000 miles? even 6000, on the road would be fine, (especially using synthetic oil). there is really no need to change on the road, and really at that time stop in at a dealer, tell them all you want is an oil change, and its not all that much money, for the total job. Make it easier on yourself and enjoy the trip, not worrying if you can change your own oil. Even as a professional mechanic, I wouldn't do that, and I do all the work on my bikes.

the bike is going to be just fine with the longer interval for one time like that. the fact that your miles will be extended freeway driving, you will be burning off excess fuel contamination, and moisture.the bike is not going to blow up going 1000 miles past. Some people go 10,000 miles between changes, (I don't recommend that!!) and the bike is fine. (at least for a while!) Don't sweat the one time longer interval. I sure wouldn't

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 06-21-2016 at 11:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by harleycharlie1992:
jimgpayne (06-27-2016), kryingame (06-21-2016), SIDECAR BOB (06-27-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,101 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Charley beat me to it, why bother?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
why would you do this? service the bike before you leave. Are you riding 5000 miles? even 6000, on the road would be fine, (especially using synthetic oil). there is really no need to change on the road, and really at that time stop in at a dealer, tell them all you want is an oil change, and its not all that much money, for the total job. Make it easier on yourself and enjoy the trip, not worrying if you can change your own oil. Even as a professional mechanic, I wouldn't do that, and I do all the work on my bikes.

the bike is going to be just fine with the longer interval for one time like that. the fact that your miles will be extended freeway driving, you will be burning off excess fuel contamination, and moisture.the bike is not going to blow up going 1000 miles past. Some people go 10,000 miles between changes, (I don't recommend that!!) and the bike is fine. (at least for a while!) Don't sweat the one time longer interval. I sure wouldn't

Old 06-21-2016, 11:55 AM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree as well....do a full oil service before & after the trip. Use a good quality synthetic 20/50 oil & not worry about it. If needed on the road, you can top it off with any brand 20/50 sold at all parts stores.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:56 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Did just this thing on our NC-CA trip with a couple buds. Dealer also washed our bikes for free and got free Ts. Was less than an hour.

Last edited by RKZen; 06-21-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:28 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
I've got a 6000+ mile road trip planned and am wondering if anyone has performed an oil change while touring, using the multi-tool toolkit supplied with the Rushmore bikes? If additional tools are required for an oil change on the road, what was needed? Thanks for your help.
================================================== ========

Heres what i would do in your situation.

1st i want to say I normally change the oil & filter in my hd at 4k-5k miles max using semi-blend or full syn 20w-50 spectro oil for hD's.

But if i was on a 6k+ mile trip there are high quality full syn motorcycle specific oils avail today that will easily go 6,500-7k+ miles before being changed so no need to do an oil change while touring.

Running your bike 1x past normal oil change schd mileage with a high quality full syn oil like spectro mfg's will not damage the bike/motor at all IMHO.

I contacted the engineering staff @ spectro oil to ask how long they rec their 20-50 oil specifically designed HD v-twins is formulated to go they said their 20-50 motorcycle oil in std dino/semi-blend/full syn that are specifically designed for HD v-twins are high quality oils all formulated to go well past hd's rec 5k mile oil & filter change.

So just install spectro's full syn 20-50 for hds prior to leaving on the trip and your good to go,i'd also rec you bring a 1 qt of the same oil along for topping off as required too.

Some oil mfgs even rec 8k oil change for bikes when using their full syn oil and m1 has full syn formulated for up to 15k miles or 1 yr so its not anything way out of the norm to go 6,500-7k miles on 1 oil change in your bike when using a high quality full syn oil like spectro mfg's.

BTW,i have run m1 v-twin 20-50 syn & hd's syn3 full syn 20-50 in my bike prior to trying spectro full syn 20-50 oil for hd's in my HD and when hot in summer heat the motor maintained better/higher oil pressure with valves being quieter with the spectro oil vs the M1 & syn3 full syn 20-50 bike oil which is why i am sticking with the spectro oil & rec it too.

I also use Secptro oil that's specifically designed & formulated for HD primary & 6spd trans too.

Spectro has earned a well respected rep in the motorcycle race community over the past 55-60yrs they have been mfg oil for race bikes and Spectro also has a line of automotive oil called " motorgaurd " too that's specifically designed & formulated for classic car motors running old school flat tappet cams requiring higher zddp/anti-wear agent lvl that i use in my classic muscle car that's a 69 chevelle ss 396(now 402) big block in it with great results too.

See below for link & details to Spectro's full syn 20w-50 for HD's along with a description.

Scott

================================================== ======

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=4

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic 20w50 1-qt.

Enter quantity of 12 for case discount.

Engineered specifically for Harley Davidson® high-performance engines and other high-output V-Twin motors. Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic provides smoother shifting, reduces friction, offers tremendous lubrication and provides superior protection in extreme heat conditions. A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.
List Price: $15.00
Price: $10.95

Last edited by wscott; 06-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:59 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

As Charlie said, good syn before you leave, go for it.

Quick Reply: Doing Your Own Oil Change While Touring