Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Highway Miles in a Day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:10 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default How Many Highway Miles in a Day?

I am going to head for the Rockies and ride there with friends and family. With all due respect to those of you that live in the midwest, I want to cover those states in as few days as possible so I'll be jumping on the superslab and hitting the cruise control. (Before I elicit defenses of the merits of the midwest, let me say that I was born in Nebraska, lived in Ohio for a time and visited relatives in Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois repeatedly over the years, so I'm not speaking from lack of experience. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the midwest, that's just not where I want to spend my time on this trip.)

For planning purposes, based on your experience, how many miles can I reasonably expect to cover in a day? I am thinking of going 550-600 miles per day so that I can get from the DC area to Colorado in 3 days. Is that realistic? If it makes a difference, I am a pretty fit 61 years old.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,558 Likes on 1,313 Posts

No that may not be realistic. But it can be done. We've done it going to Sturgis.

As a general rule for trips, we plan 6 hours of riding, not counting gas, pee, food, etc. Therefore start at 8:00, off the road by 3:00-3:30 preferred.

If we do a 400 mile day, we like to keep the next two days rides under 300. We've done 650, even 735 miles in a day, but you start to regret the trip. If you start feeling punchy...stop.

It is not about the destination. It is about the ride to and from the destination. I think 550-600 mile back to back days will take all the joy out of your ride.

Superslab makes it possible, but constant 70+ will wear you down faster than playing on two lane sweepers. You may arrive not feeling like you want to do a whole lot of Colorado riding. But 61 is young, put a bug in your teeth and do it. If it hurts, you don't have to do it again.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 07-15-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,296 Likes on 848 Posts

I've done that journey in 3 days before, several times. I've also done it 2. On a much less comfortable bike than my RK.

A whole lot depends on you and how well you can stay seated in your saddle. If you're squirming and suffering after half an hour of riding, this is going to be one tough journey.

Give yourself a good break when you refuel. Stay hydrated. Pay attention to your own internal cycles.

As well, give yourself the option of doing it in 4 days, or even 5 if need be. Riding exhausted and miserable can lead to catastrophic results.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I am going to head for the Rockies and ride there with friends and family. With all due respect to those of you that live in the midwest, I want to cover those states in as few days as possible so I'll be jumping on the superslab and hitting the cruise control. (Before I elicit defenses of the merits of the midwest, let me say that I was born in Nebraska, lived in Ohio for a time and visited relatives in Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois repeatedly over the years, so I'm not speaking from lack of experience. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the midwest, that's just not where I want to spend my time on this trip.)

For planning purposes, based on your experience, how many miles can I reasonably expect to cover in a day? I am thinking of going 550-600 miles per day so that I can get from the DC area to Colorado in 3 days. Is that realistic? If it makes a difference, I am a pretty fit 61 years old.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Four years ago I rode from Exton, PA (just outside Philadelphia) to Denver in a little over a day and a half. I did it to earn an Iron Butt certificate so we did 1050 miles on the first day. I was 56 years old at the time. I believe I could still do it today. 550-600 per day should be no problem if you are talking highway miles. Obviously not everyone has the same tolerance for long distance riding so your mileage may vary.

We had 8 days available, we wanted to spend 4 days in the State of Colorado, so that left us 2 days out and 2 days back. Coming back we split the ride into 2-850 mile days. I honestly felt no fatigue at any time during the trip. know your own limits and go by them.

Last edited by rwven; 07-15-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haul in such cases. No worries about weather, passenger shares the driving and not beat up when you get to where you want to ride. This implies that you have a pickup, van or trailer. I use a 15 pass. Chevy van and the RK fits inside with the windshield and mirrors removed.

Another option is to rent, a little pricey IMO, but if your finances are up for it you'll be more rested and have more riding days in the Rockies vs. the plains.

I mapped DC to Denver at 1680 miles or 26 hrs. I'm 57 and consider that doable in 3 days. But it's not an easy 3 days. The sustained wind blast and buffeting from trucks will make it a long day.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Like some have said it's doable but there are other factors to think about weather being one of them. Fatigue being the other. You have to stay hydrated and I can't stress that enough.

3 600 mile days in the heat of the plains is going to put you at your destination a little drained. That being said if I was riding 1 up I would do it.

batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots of miles means lots of water or other beverage that will replenish body fluids no not beer either. As said before listencil to your body and lil voice in the back of your head. Be safe and smart about it and you'll be fine. A cooling vest out west will help keep you confortable also.

Batman

PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

What's realistic depends on the individual. I personally put a 500 mile limit on my days and break it up into about 100 mile bites. I take plenty of breaks, drink lots of Gatorade, etc. However, how hot it is, rain, heavy traffic, and other issues also affect how long I ride. You don't want to ride until you're compleletly worn out or you'll suffer the next day, and after that it will only get worse.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,886 Likes on 18,607 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem. Early to bed and early to rise helps ... and don't forget the sun is on your side ( heading west ) you'll gain daylight with the time change

Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

how hot it is, rain, heavy traffic, and other issues also affect how long I ride. You don't want to ride until you're compleletly worn out or you'll suffer the next day, and after that it will only get worse.
I agree^^^^^. I usually ride from tank to tank, 600-700 miles days, when I stop for fuel I do tank a lengthy break (30mins-1hr) stretch out grab a drink and snack then hit the road.

Quick Reply: How Many Highway Miles in a Day?